How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on newer cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on newer cars?

Right now my DD is an '09 Z06 that's Cyber grey metallic (not sure if the metallic paints are any more or less prone to fading than normal colors.). My current job has a parking garage, so it stays out of the sun, rain, ect. I'm about to get a new job that doesn't have any sort of covered parking. Naturally, I'm worried about how the elements will treat my car. Especially being as that I'm in Texas.

I considered getting a nice car cover, but it seems like it would be a major pain to to put it on and remove it every single day. Not to mention that if it's raining when I get off, it would not be good. Another option would be to get a basic DD, but that's an expense I'm really not wanting to spend unless I have to.

I'm mostly worried about the sun fading my paint and yellowing my headlights. I would use a sun visor at the very least, to protect the interior since the windows are all tinted. So I'm wondering how well our cars deal with direct sunlight? Rain isn't too much of an issue, as I would wash it frequently.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Pm me and I can give you some suggestions and opinions on all that.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Park with your back window facing the sun, most of the time in Texas if your car points north the headlights stay shaded and the back window tint deflects the heat
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

wax it up!

Quick Reply: How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on newer cars?