Looking for some input on possible career change to process operator

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for some input on possible career change to process operator

I know some of you guys here are in this line of work. I'm probably going to sign up to start taking some of the classes at San Jac. I've been in the electrical trade and Mechanical for a lot of years licensed in both trades and just looking to do something different. Once you get the 2 year program done is it pretty easy to get on as an operator? Are there any licenses or certificates other than the two year course I need to look into as well?
Is SanJac the best place to take the course? Can you still get on with just the two year program?
From what I have seen it looks like starting pay is usually some where between $26-$28 an hour. Is this pretty accurate? Is it pretty easy to move up in pay from that point?

Any other input you guys have let me know. I know it's shift work and usually a lot of hours. I work third shift now and have been working shift work for the past 10 years or so.

Last edited by bigfatls6; 02-05-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...tors-make.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...ts-hiring.html

Probably find most of your answers in those two threads...
Old 02-15-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your experience will be beneficial but they are mainy looking for your aas. Once complete you shouldn't have any issues getting a job. When you get close begin honing your interviewing skills and knowing what questions they will be asking and how to answer them.

Quick Reply: Looking for some input on possible career change to process operator