>>>>> TX2K15 Kill Stories, Pics and Vids <<<<<

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADMOON
I do know how to search. Ive just been informed by GTR owners the only way to be 100% sure is upgrading . Have you seen how hard they leave on a drag strip? I bet the stage 2.5 would b Ok for roll racing or the street but Im talking about dragstrip aswell. GTRs are impressive not arguing with that. I used to think they were cool til I went to TX2k and saw there crowd this year. There ****** everywhere out there. Also I was proving a point that a vette can get in the 9's lot cheaper than a GTR.. I dont like the vette crowd either though corvette forum is full of a bunch of pansies.. Hey I like F-bodies, supras, and Vs though...
It is the GTR nationals, meaning GTRs from all over the country come to this event. That is why you saw so many of them. I don't know what GTR owners have been your informant, But god bless you if you think anything in aftermarket modification is 100% certain. Every car is different and parts break. The $20,000 transmission builds you've been referring to break also. I also think comparing the price to get a corvette into the 9s versus the GTR is dumb. Dumb and apples to oranges.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve C.
I also think comparing the price to get a corvette into the 9s versus the GTR is dumb. Dumb and apples to oranges.
How is it dumb? Comparing a motorcycle to a car would be dumb, but checking the $$$ to performance ratio would actually be smart. If you want a fast car for the least money possible, you don't want a vehicle that costs more and gives less performance. That would be dumb. Of course, if it was about performance per dollar, neither one of those cars would get a second look. An old beater g-body or s10 with a swap is way cheaper. You only buy a Vette or GTR because you want that particular vehicle. Or maybe if you are a tool and have to follow the trends?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTR and Vettes can do a lot more than just go fast in a straight line which is where that extra money goes. Compare that to purpose built swaps which can only do a couple of those really well. most of which cannot be daily driven reliably/comfortably. My RX8 could have been made MUCH more wild in the form of a TC76 and A2W but that would have most likely spoiled the driveability of the car. I love how a lot of GTRs can click off an 8 and drive home hundreds of miles with the AC blasting. When I feel like I want to go VERY fast I'm gonna go the obvious route Swapped turbo Fox.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

I agree with you 98TA, they do a lot of stuff well for what you pay. This thread was about drag and roll racing though, so I stuck with that topic. But, you could still build an "all around" vehicle that would out do either of them for less money. Different strokes for different folks, if we all drove identical junk, it would be a lot harder to dig up races by making fun of other people's ****.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That topics an be beaten to death. I have done many swaps and if you want to build a vehicle that will do it all as competitively as the proper GTR or Vette then be prepared to build a car that you will never get much back when/if you want to sell it. Not to mention be as reliable as them. Take my car for example. I built that car to be comparable(better) to a C5. I know it will turn harder, go faster and is easier to live with than a C5. But I didn't get wild bc then I would have been in C5 ZO6/C6 money. And selling it will be tough bc a lot of people are turned off by not being able to take it to the dealership for a tune up. But yeah we are way off topic. That 7 second GTR is incredible. Hate the mountain dew wheels but loving the work it's doing.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Redneck2
How is it dumb? Comparing a motorcycle to a car would be dumb, but checking the $$$ to performance ratio would actually be smart. If you want a fast car for the least money possible, you don't want a vehicle that costs more and gives less performance. That would be dumb. Of course, if it was about performance per dollar, neither one of those cars would get a second look. An old beater g-body or s10 with a swap is way cheaper. You only buy a Vette or GTR because you want that particular vehicle. Or maybe if you are a tool and have to follow the trends?
It is dumb because they are entirely different platforms with different strengths and weaknesses. I think comparing a GTR to a 911 or a corvette to a viper would be apples to apples. By the way, I don't believe it costs more to get a GTR into the 9s compared to a corvette. If it does cost more, it certainly isn't a lot. The dollar to performance ratio is whatever you make of it. If you're a one-track-trolley and your only goal is to get into the 9s on a budget.... Neither the GTR or Vette should be your top choice. So why are we talking about budgets and how much things cost? Like I said, dumb. I personally believe the GTR offers more attainable and consistent performance when compared to the Corvette, given an average driver, especially on the street.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
That topics an be beaten to death. I have done many swaps and if you want to build a vehicle that will do it all as competitively as the proper GTR or Vette then be prepared to build a car that you will never get much back when/if you want to sell it. Not to mention be as reliable as them. Take my car for example. I built that car to be comparable(better) to a C5. I know it will turn harder, go faster and is easier to live with than a C5. But I didn't get wild bc then I would have been in C5 ZO6/C6 money. And selling it will be tough bc a lot of people are turned off by not being able to take it to the dealership for a tune up. But yeah we are way off topic. That 7 second GTR is incredible. Hate the mountain dew wheels but loving the work it's doing.
You are still talking a newer more expensive car to begin with. I'm talking a $1000 oldie and build it to your exact wants yourself. But, the only thing I don't do is paint and transmissions, so I don't figure in labor costs. Sure, pay someone to do it and the cost difference would've far less, if not the other way around. Resell doesn't matter when you are building your perfect vehicle, who sells their perfect car? Unless someone has the cash to prove they want it more than you do...

Your car is cool. A neat swap that brings the performance up to match the looks. Heck, I have been thinking about doing an early 70's 260Z ls/t56 swap for a while now. Modernize the interior, all leather and painted steel. A/c, power everything, a classic with full modern comfort. I'm looking at around 20k to do it from top to bottom, new everything. To me, it would be worth more than any new Vette because you can't just walk into a dealership and buy an identical one.

Oh yea, and streetable 7 second monster is impressive, even more so when it looks like a grocery getter rather than a drag week big tire monster. Love them or hate them, they can be stupid fast.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

It is dumb because they are entirely different platforms with different strengths and weaknesses. I think comparing a GTR to a 911 or a corvette to a viper would be apples to apples. By the way, I don't believe it costs more to get a GTR into the 9s compared to a corvette. If it does cost more, it certainly isn't a lot. The dollar to performance ratio is whatever you make of it. If you're a one-track-trolley and your only goal is to get into the 9s on a budget.... Neither the GTR or Vette should be your top choice. So why are we talking about budgets and how much things cost? Like I said, dumb. I personally believe the GTR offers more attainable and consistent performance when compared to the Corvette, given an average driver, especially on the street.
It is apples to apples when you are comparing using them in the same application. If you are buying it to daily drive with some drag racing, but cornering doesn't matter, then why do you care about handling? If trackdays are your thing, and drag racing doesn't matter, then who cares how well it launches? This was a thread about drag racing, so that is the topic I'm on. Personally, I don't get why people drag race either of those cars. Both are better corner carvers in my opinion. My Atom usually only sees street miles from the house to MSR Cresson. It rides like ***, is noisy, uncomfortable and is straight up annoying to cruise in. But on the track, well, she starts being a lot more fun.

The last part of your post kind of bothers me. "More attainable and consistent performance..." What you mean is the car covers for a bad driver. There are lots of retards that can push the go pedal and hang on, but not so many that can push a car to its limits and keep it there without going too far. It's the difference between a driver, and someone just doing something to look cool.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
Who would that be? I'm curious as I would like to check out the build thread

Faster than an 8.35 is hauling *** especially on stock parts
Was in the 1/8 mile at 4.8x at 151 mph, and I'm sure it would run 7s if they went the 1/4 mile.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow that hatch was movin'

thanks for the link
Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Was in the 1/8 mile at 4.8x at 151 mph, and I'm sure it would run 7s if they went the 1/4 mile.

SGMP No Mercy 5. Stock bottom end 5.3. 4.85@151 - YouTube
youre probably right on your estimate but he probably hasnt run a 7 bc the motor wont last that long at that level. i thought the fastest 5.3 was mid 8s?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Redneck2

The last part of your post kind of bothers me. "More attainable and consistent performance..." What you mean is the car covers for a bad driver. There are lots of retards that can push the go pedal and hang on, but not so many that can push a car to its limits and keep it there without going too far. It's the difference between a driver, and someone just doing something to look cool.
Yes, if that's how you interpret it --- Bad drivers, good drivers, average drivers, it doesn't matter, the GTR will produce more consistent performance. Explain why this bothers you? Because you put a certain value on "driver mod"? Or you think every GTR driver is a failed former corvette owner that can't drive? The fact is a GTR takes a lot of variables out of the equation (such as traction and shifting) and drives very predictably. If I see 50 corvettes on the streets of Houston, 5 of them could probably drive the car to it's full potential (and I'm being generous with that guesstimate) Now if I see 50 GTRs, I would guess 45 of them would be driven to full potential.

The GTR doesn't drive itself, but the learning curve sure is a lot more friendly compared to mastering a manual, rear wheel drive, car. It seems to me you're a big fan of driving/mastering a more difficult vehicle like a manual transmission corvette. I prefer and enjoy the GTR not because I can't drive a manual or don't enjoy the thrill of a manual rwd car..... but I put a lot of value in consistent performance... and winning . It is just a matter of opinion, both are a great car. I still feel comparing them anything other than stock vs stock is dumb, and definitely apples to oranges.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

More videos added...

...best sounding C7Z I've heard so far.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Banned

Yes, if that's how you interpret it --- Bad drivers, good drivers, average drivers, it doesn't matter, the GTR will produce more consistent performance. Explain why this bothers you? Because you put a certain value on "driver mod"? Or you think every GTR driver is a failed former corvette owner that can't drive? The fact is a GTR takes a lot of variables out of the equation (such as traction and shifting) and drives very predictably. If I see 50 corvettes on the streets of Houston, 5 of them could probably drive the car to it's full potential (and I'm being generous with that guesstimate) Now if I see 50 GTRs, I would guess 45 of them would be driven to full potential.

The GTR doesn't drive itself, but the learning curve sure is a lot more friendly compared to mastering a manual, rear wheel drive, car. It seems to me you're a big fan of driving/mastering a more difficult vehicle like a manual transmission corvette. I prefer and enjoy the GTR not because I can't drive a manual or don't enjoy the thrill of a manual rwd car..... but I put a lot of value in consistent performance... and winning . It is just a matter of opinion, both are a great car. I still feel comparing them anything other than stock vs stock is dumb, and definitely apples to oranges.

No offense meant, but I'm huge on driver performance rather than car. Years of racing, I pride myself in being able to push anything to its limits. Maybe I'm weird, but I can't comprehend the idea of buying one performance vehicle over another because it does the same thing easier. I would go for the harder to drive vehicle because it challenges me. That keeps me alert and in tip top condition. I mentioned owning an Atom, think about that. There are a lot of cheaper cars that will do almost what it will, and are easier to drive. I like it because it is a raw, unrefined beast that will bite you the first time you let your guard down. No traction control, no bs. When I turn a fast lap, there was no computer helping me, I did it myself. I've always believed that when you quit pushing yourself to improve, you start declining to the grave. So choosing the easy option is the first step the wrong direction. Maybe thats just me, but that's how I see things. Also, if you enjoy doing something, you want to be good at it, right? Why choose to ignore developing needed skills and cover it up with an electronic band-aid? I'll never understand how people justify taking the easy route in a hobby or passion. It just doesn't make sense.

Edit, I actually don't really like Corvettes. Early C3's and older are ok, but the new stuff just doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't refuse a free one, but I would probably put the drivetrain in something else after a couple weeks...

Last edited by Redneck2; 03-29-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
youre probably right on your estimate but he probably hasnt run a 7 bc the motor wont last that long at that level. i thought the fastest 5.3 was mid 8s?
It finally popped, but for the love of all that is sacred, the bastard went 40+ PSI all day on Chinese head studs and a stock bottom end. I don't know any manufacturer pushing anything stock that far. Unless it's some high end all forged ****. Not no 400$ junkyard setup.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

^ has the Intel
Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 AM
11 Second Club

I found a way to embed the TX2K15 videos into a playlist, so you can watch all the videos continuously.

If you're interested, it's here.

Last edited by glhs422; 03-30-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

New video added to the TX2K playlist:

Last edited by glhs422; 03-31-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

More videos from TX2K... added to the TX2K playlist:

Old 04-04-2015, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

TX2K15 Playlist

Quick Reply: >>>>> TX2K15 Kill Stories, Pics and Vids <<<<<