Dealer trades-in.?.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer trades-in.?.

In your experience, will a new car dealerships take a modded car as a trade in or do they typicaly frown on that? This might have been asked before, but I can't find it...
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it depends on the dealership. I know Carmax wont take a car that wont pass inspection, and they do a visual too. If the car doesnt have cats on it, they wont take it .

We tried to trade in Mustang with and ORH and they wouldnt take it, even with the MIL eliminators on it, there was no check engine light but they still caught it.

You will always get more for a modded car when you sell it outright. That goes for cars and trucks. When I wanted to sell my Truck, they told me they would give me more for it if I took the lift, rims and tires off.

When I wanted trade my car in earlier this year, they told me I would get more on trade if I took the headers and exhaust off. From what the guy that appraised it said, people only do performance mods for one reason, and its usually a sign that the car was run harder.

I dont agree with that 100% because I see how good care guys on here take care of their cars, but it makes sense.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youre better off selling it private party anyway. stealerships will give you the lowest dollar amount they can to make sure they get the most out of it. its been a couple of years ago now, but i remember someone on here saying they went to trade in their 02 SS in on a tahoe and they offered him like 9500 or 10500 on trade, for a car they would turn around and sell for 20+
Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Everyones correct, a dealership is gonna rape you on the car when it's modded, then....sell it for big coin once they have it.

They're gonna give a song and dance about reliability, then it will be in the show room.

Sell it private, try ebay, etc...you'll get more $$, and you'll be happier.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

strickland will take it... they'll take anything.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Champion Chevrolet is selling a well modded c5 for around 30k!!! I'm sure they low-balled someone on a trade on that deal!
J
Old 07-21-2006, 02:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any dealership willing to turn around and take it to auction.

Corvette Warehouse here in Dallas told me they'd take my car if I could find a rear seat for it. I'm pretty sure he said it wasn't that big of a deal though. He also said they'd give me $4500 for it.