Oswalt on the trading block

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oswalt on the trading block

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

This is the second story I've read today about the Astros shopping Oswalt around. The other story was on the Chronicle, where they talked about a package deal for Tejada.

If we're going to trade Oswalt, I want to see us get more than a prospect. This Milledge guy might be great, but he's batting .233 right now. .233?!?! FOR ROY FREAKING OSWALT?!?!?

If the Astros trade Oswalt, they should be honest with the fans and come out and say "We're rebuilding."

-Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Trading Oswalt would be stupid, unless we get some experience.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

as a Ranger fan, I have no idea why the Astros would want to trade him

the hardest thing to come around is top of the line starting pitching. Its not like Pettite and Clemens are going to be around long.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

There is NO WAY they would trade Oswalt. When nothing is happening, ESPN, SI, and everyone else starts bullshit rumors just to keep everyone talking about something and checking back to see if something's happened. Think about all the bs speculation surrounding Clemens coming back. They're just throwing stuff out to stir the pot...
Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jawsk2
There is NO WAY they would trade Oswalt. When nothing is happening, ESPN, SI, and everyone else starts bullshit rumors just to keep everyone talking about something and checking back to see if something's happened. Think about all the bs speculation surrounding Clemens coming back. They're just throwing stuff out to stir the pot...
I agree with this totally.

This has to be a big rumor with no validity. Without Clemens and Pettitte next year, Oswalt is a guy you build your starting pitching rotation around.

My prediction... Lidge, Everett, and Pence to the O's for Tejada today. When the O's realize at the 11th hour that they have nothing, they'll bite.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

If I was running the team, I would do this:
Give up on this year
Get Clemens and Pettite in a locked room with the owner and explain what I was doing and why. Tell them we want them back in 2007, but with better hitting around them.
Trade Clemens and Pettite to highest bidder who offers the best proven talent in return.
Go ahead with the trade for Tejada and explain to him we're gonna be kickin *** in 07.

Then, whoop *** in 07 with Tejada, Clemens, Pettite plus all the new stuff we got in trade!!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If Purpura trades Oswalt away, he (Tim P.) needs to die.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think the Astros would trade Oswalt, if for some reason, Drayton and Tim were that stupid, I would have to stop cheering for the Astros all together.

I might even stop following baseball. Would be time to learn how that Soccer game I keep hearing about works.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chadtx01
I dont think the Astros would trade Oswalt, if for some reason, Drayton and Tim were that stupid, I would have to stop cheering for the Astros all together.

I might even stop following baseball. Would be time to learn how that Soccer game I keep hearing about works.

That's pretty damn funny!!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I think I see their logic now. Get everyone talking about how stupid it would be to trade Oswalt, then the trade deadline passes and everyone says "Whew! I was afraid we might trade Oswalt!" Never mind the fact that we didn't trade/acquire ANYBODY to help this team.

-Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

i would not mind picking up a power hitter for lidge. all i can say is he better be good though!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I think I see their logic now. Get everyone talking about how stupid it would be to trade Oswalt, then the trade deadline passes and everyone says "Whew! I was afraid we might trade Oswalt!" Never mind the fact that we didn't trade/acquire ANYBODY to help this team.

-Mike
I guess the logic was instead of trading for a good power hitter and making a run at the post season, they wanted to **** Oswalt off so he signs with another team next year.

Go 'Stros.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess the logic was instead of trading for a good power hitter and making a run at the post season, they wanted to **** Oswalt off so he signs with another team next year.

Go 'Stros.
Yep. I see it as a totally stupid decision to even bring his name up, and a way of publicly showing they (Astros front office) have given up on the 06 season. Maybe Drayton is thinking of life for a year without having to pay Roger $12 million, Bagwell $17 million and Pettitte $16.5 million. I'd be willing to bet he'll pocket 80% of that money while giving some "prospects" like Hirsch and Pence a shot.

Think of our pitching next year.
Oswalt (possibly unhappy after trade talks)
Wandy
Backe
Buchholz
Nieve

Talk about giving up the longball...then we've always got Qualls and Lidge in the relief and closer positions.

Think about the lineup we could have had with an added big bat...take the addition of Soriano for example.
1. Biggio 2B
2. Chris Burke SS (if Everette was involved in said trade)
3. Berkman RF
4. Soriano CF
5. Mike Lamb 1B
6. Morgan Ensberg or Huff 3B
7. Preston Wilson LF
8. Ausmus C
9. Pitcher
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Yep. I see it as a totally stupid decision to even bring his name up, and a way of publicly showing they (Astros front office) have given up on the 06 season. Maybe Drayton is thinking of life for a year without having to pay Roger $12 million, Bagwell $17 million and Pettitte $16.5 million. I'd be willing to bet he'll pocket 80% of that money while giving some "prospects" like Hirsch and Pence a shot.

Wandy
Backe
Buchholz
Nieve

Talk about giving up the longball...then we've always got Qualls and Lidge in the relief and closer positions.

Think about the lineup we could have had with an added big bat...take the addition of Soriano for example.
1. Biggio 2B
3. Berkman RF
4. Soriano CF
5. Mike Lamb 1B
7. Preston Wilson LF
8. Ausmus C
9. Pitcher
I would have liked to see them pick somebody up, but even if they would have stayed pat, and NOT brought up Oswalts name, I would have been ok with it.

But, Oswalt has been the backbone of the rotation for the past 4 years. Look what he did for us last year in the NLCS. I've given up on this season. Maybe the Astros will do something crazy in the offseason like go after a big name free agent like Carlos Lee or Soriano with the money they are saving off of Clemens and Bagwell.

Realistically, I'm expecting the "prospects" most of which are 28-30 years old to finally make it to the big show and then the Astros will struggle all year.

Im a little bitter right now.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I would have liked to see them pick somebody up, but even if they would have stayed pat, and NOT brought up Oswalts name, I would have been ok with it.

But, Oswalt has been the backbone of the rotation for the past 4 years. Look what he did for us last year in the NLCS. I've given up on this season. Maybe the Astros will do something crazy in the offseason like go after a big name free agent like Carlos Lee or Soriano with the money they are saving off of Clemens and Bagwell.

Realistically, I'm expecting the "prospects" most of which are 28-30 years old to finally make it to the big show and then the Astros will struggle all year.

Im a little bitter right now.
I forgot to mention that with those idiots bringing Roy into the trade talks we'd be highly lucky to even see him pitching here after next year. Free Agency, here he comes.

Tim Purpura and Drayton really showed their asses on this one.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to mention that with those idiots bringing Roy into the trade talks we'd be highly lucky to even see him pitching here after next year. Free Agency, here he comes.

Tim Purpura and Drayton really showed their asses on this one.
Ya, if I were Roy, I would have pretty much taken that like a slap in the face.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Texas Director

Ross,

Its pretty safe to say that Roger won't be back. I seriously doubt that the Astros are going to offer Pettitte another contract unless its at a significant (deservedly) pay cut, so your pitching rotation looks to be pretty accurate.

Here's my assessment:

1. Biggio 2B (probably back for one more year)
2. Chris Burke SS (if Everett is traded or not, Burke should get a shot at SS)
3. Berkman RF
4. Soriano, Taveras, or minor league prospect CF (I'll believe it when I see it regarding Sorianio when/if this happens tradewise )
5. Mike Lamb 1B
7. Preston Wilson LF (probably won't be back)
8. Ausmus C (probably won't be back)
9. Pitcher

Next year probably will be even worse than this year when you look at it. If it were me, I would fire Purpura. He's done absolutely NOTHING as far as new aquisitions for impact players to help the Astros. You're also right about cheap-*** Uncle Drayton. He'll pocket a big chunk of the money from Bagwell's, Clemens', and Pettitte's contract instead of going out and getting significant difference making type of guys to contend for the division title. Drayton is content to play for the wild card and doesn't seem to have serious interest in being a big-time player for the division crown, which is sad.

Wandy
Backe
Buchholz
Nieve

1. Biggio 2B
3. Berkman RF
4. Soriano CF
5. Mike Lamb 1B
7. Preston Wilson LF
8. Ausmus C
9. Pitcher
Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
Next year probably will be even worse than this year when you look at it. If it were me, I would fire Purpura. He's done absolutely NOTHING as far as new aquisitions for impact players to help the Astros. You're also right about cheap-*** Uncle Drayton. He'll pocket a big chunk of the money from Bagwell's, Clemens', and Pettitte's contract instead of going out and getting significant difference making type of guys to contend for the division title. Drayton is content to play for the wild card and doesn't seem to have serious interest in being a big-time player for the division crown, which is sad.
How in the world can you use cheap and Drayton in the same sentence when this year he has the third largest payroll? Does he have to outspend the Yankees to satisfy you? Content to play for the wildcard? Was that not good enough last year? Was that not good enough for the Red Soxs the year before?

Drayton said this morning that the Astros did not mention Oswalt, he was brought up by other teams... they didn't bring him up. What are they supposed to do in that situation? Another team brings his name up and it leaks... now they're the bad guy. Drayton said his top priority now that the trade deadline is over is to sign an extension with Oswalt.

I wish they could have done something too, but this year is FAR from over. If Ensberg comes back and plays like he should play and Huff plays like he should play... this is a decent lineup. Definitely decent enough to win the wildcard. Scott was huge this weekend and I see good things from him. ***** T is making things happen again. Huff WILL come around. Ensberg is capable of much more than he has shown this season. Where we needed help was in the bullpen.

Even this lineup for the rest of the season looks good if they play the way they should:
1. 2B Biggio
2. CF Taveras/Burke
3. 1B Berkman
4. 3B Ensberg
5. RF Huff
6. LF Scott/Wilson
7. SS Everett
8. C Ausmus
9. P

You're all too quick to jump off the bandwagon. Call me a homer or say I have wool over my eyes... but I am not giving up this season yet.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know the astro r having a slump right now, but it's not going to help them ne to trade one of their best pitcher. i call BS on this
Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Just like I said, they were never going to trade Oswalt. Reporters are like teenage girls, they make **** up just to get a little excitement going.
All the Astros really need is a cattle prod on their nuts!! They just haven't kicked into gear and it's frustrating as hell...