Non LSX Spark/Emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non LSX Spark/Emissions question

Question: Can a weak spark cause you to fail emissions?

Situation: I have a 94 Nissan that failed exhaust emissions(co2 nx0 or whatever) and I have been trying to figure out why for 4 months now. Its not the cat b/c it only failed either the high or low (i forget which now). The car vibrates at idle and has been getting worse and we finally narrowed it down to the fact that the distributor is leaking. We cleaned off under the dist cap and the vibration almost went completely away. Common on these cars is the leaky distributor and leaky intake.
So my question really is: could a weak spark, from getting oil on the rotor cause incomplete combustion, and in turn cause the car to fail? Basically I dont want to fix the dist and then go and try and get inspected again and fail again.

Thanks
Shaun

Last edited by dubs6; 05-17-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

should i stick this in a diff section?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i would say so. a weak spark/ bad timming with surely cause you to fail emissions. sounds to me like if it is viberating at idle then you have a misfire, not just a weak spark. just my opinion.

Nick
Old 05-18-2007, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
well i would say so. a weak spark/ bad timming with surely cause you to fail emissions. sounds to me like if it is viberating at idle then you have a misfire, not just a weak spark. just my opinion.

Nick
I completely agree. I guess I just left that out. I am assuming the new distributor would fix that.