Need Help W/My Paint Decision.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help W/My Paint Decision.

Like the title says, I need some help on deciding on a few things. First of all, one of my good friend's ex-girlfriend backed up into my car on New Years monring. She cracked the **** out of the passenger fender, put a 1" long crack in the passenger door, scraped the front bumper cover, and dented the passenger qt. panel. I've decided to just paint the whole car over considering the paint on it right now ain't all that great. I'm debating on either going GM silver metallica or pewter. Right now the car is like a dark grey color, so pewter matches great which means I wouldn't have to paint the door jams, underneath the hood, etc. I was also thinking about going with the black roof top, kind of like how a Camaro Z28/SS is painted. Let me know what ya'll guys think, and if anyone has an opinion or maybe even some pictures, that would help out alot. Thanks for the help, Ryan.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it already custom painted? If so, why not keep dk gray?

Pewter was cool when it first came out, and then it started showing up on mini-vans and SUV's which made it too common.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Is it already custom painted? If so, why not keep dk gray?
It's like grey with an ugly black stripe down the middle of the car. There are also places that are fogged up and some spots that need body work, so I just figured I would paint the whole car over. I wanted to go with GM silver metallic and a little bit of blue pearl in the clear coat, but then again I would love to go with pewter. I've seen a couple of pewter T/A's and I think they look nice.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are going to repaint the whole car, why not make it something that stands out more? Silver and pewter are so common. At least if you went with a custom color, people would see that you have custom paint.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep it grey, thats pretty rare to see on 4th gens and F-bodies on general, theres a lot of really nice shades of it like Viper Steel grey, Corvette Spiral Grey, storm grey used on the trucks are all good choices. But what you could also do is open a PPG book at a local paint shop and find a color from a higher end car. They use some nice greys on the Porsches, BMWs, Benz and so on. Wouldnt be hard for a paint shop to mix that up for you and it wouldnt be a dime a dozen color like factory pewter thats on every other Tahoe and Malibu.

Neil
Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Keep it grey, thats pretty rare to see on 4th gens and F-bodies on general, theres a lot of really nice shades of it like Viper Steel grey, Corvette Spiral Grey, storm grey used on the trucks are all good choices. But what you could also do is open a PPG book at a local paint shop and find a color from a higher end car. They use some nice greys on the Porsches, BMWs, Benz and so on. Wouldnt be hard for a paint shop to mix that up for you and it wouldnt be a dime a dozen color like factory pewter thats on every other Tahoe and Malibu.

Neil
Good thing is that I happen to work at a paint job. All I was looking at were the GM silver/grey. I'll go back today and see what else I can come up with.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you are going to repaint the whole car, why not make it something that stands out more? Silver and pewter are so common. At least if you went with a custom color, people would see that you have custom paint.
I have to keep it somewhat near the color it is now. I don't wanna go like red, black, or any color like that because then I have to worry about painting inside the truck lid, door jams, and underneath the hood. I don't have too much money now. Just enough to get done what needs to get done, You know? I'm gonna go back to the paint shop I work at today and go check out some more silver/grey colors. Maybe I can fine something different and maybe even throw some blue pearl in it.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Try to find a color that matches the color on the car the best. Dont want the color to be off to much from the door jams and engine bay.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by irbs
Try to find a color that matches the color on the car the best. Dont want the color to be off to much from the door jams and engine bay.
Yup. That's what I'm trying to do bro, except I wanna throw some blue pearl in the clear coat. I think it will set it apart from other silver/grey f-bodies really good.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GunshotZ28
Yup. That's what I'm trying to do bro, except I wanna throw some blue pearl in the clear coat. I think it will set it apart from other silver/grey f-bodies really good.
Do you have some pictures of your car? I want to see this color. I was gonna buy a custom gray color camaro before i bought my car and i liked it alot. This is the car i was gonna get. I liked the color alot.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Don't have any pictures but I'll see what I can work out.. I have a small oil leak right now so I'm about to go and see if I can find it, then see if I can fix it. I'll see what I can do afterwards.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good thing is that I happen to work at a paint job. All I was looking at were the GM silver/grey. I'll go back today and see what else I can come up with.
Dont limit your self to just GM, here is an example, its called Atlas Grey found on Porsches

Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Back home in FL when I went to visit in December, I saw the most AMAZING silver/grey colored 4th Gen Camaro at a gearhead meetup in Panama City.

I took a few shots, but it was in a parking lot at night, however, I did ask him later what color his car was. (I'll try and find some shots he actually took of the car when I can and post a daytime picture up)

Here's the crappy shots i've gotten. It really doesn't do the car justice, but it'll have to make due until I can get a better picture from him:

It's gunmetal metallic or something like that, i'll go back onto the forums I know him from and double check. It's the GM paint code used for the gunmetal wheels, I want to say.

I'll update this with more detail in a bit!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MissTransAm
It's gunmetal metallic or something like that, i'll go back onto the forums I know him from and double check. It's the GM paint code used for the gunmetal wheels, I want to say.

I'll update this with more detail in a bit!
That was the first color I wanted to go with. Just about every girl I have asked loves that color. I put it up against the color my car is right now and it's way to different. I want to get something a little closer to my color, that way the door jams and underneath the hood won't look to off compared to the exterior of the car.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Hey MissTransAm, I was looking at your myspace page under the f-bodies and I was wondering if the silver T/A was your boyfriend/husbands? I almost thought it was w Firehawk with the rims/hood. Anyways, It looks exactly like my car.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

get pink or go home
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Hey MissTransAm, I was looking at your myspace page under the f-bodies and I was wondering if the silver T/A was your boyfriend/husbands? I almost thought it was w Firehawk with the rims/hood. Anyways, It looks exactly like my car.
Lol! Does yours have the 30th Anniversary style side decals as well? If so thats crazy, and we MUST arrange a photoshoot with the "twins!"

Yes, the silver Trans Am is my husband's auto-crossing machine

----

That was the first color I wanted to go with. Just about every girl I have asked loves that color. I put it up against the color my car is right now and it's way to different. I want to get something a little closer to my color, that way the door jams and underneath the hood won't look to off compared to the exterior of the car.
Oh okay, yeah I understand. Its pretty costly to do a full paint job. It is a pretty color yes, and I suppose I would fit into the category of girls that like the color, then, lol!

Well then, i'd have to say that the Porsche color posted up by BizZatch350 is also very much AWESOME! I like the metallic flake in it. Mad props
Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deadlyz28
get pink or go home
Looks like I'm goin' home lol.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MissTransAm
Lol! Does yours have the 30th Anniversary style side decals as well? If so thats crazy, and we MUST arrange a photoshoot with the "twins!"

Yes, the silver Trans Am is my husband's auto-crossing machine
It doesn't have the 30th anniv. decals but I have always like them. After looking at the pics. I think I'm going to get them. They look so good on that color. I have a very good friend who lives in Deer Park. Maybe when I'm up there we'll throw down a photoshoot with the twins, lol.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Teching In

It doesn't have the 30th anniv. decals but I have always like them. After looking at the pics. I think I'm going to get them. They look so good on that color. I have a very good friend who lives in Deer Park. Maybe when I'm up there we'll throw down a photoshoot with the twins, lol.

Well if you're interested, we have an extra set of those decals. You can order them from this one site we use, and can pick whatever color combinations you want. As you can see Alan (TexasTransAm/the hubby) used a black and darker grey/silver combination. We ordered me some of the same decals for Big Red, but in reverse (where his is black, the ones I have are silver, and vice-versa). However, after putting my stripes on, i think the side decals are too much and so I'm considering getting rid of them. So if you're ever in the area with your pal in DP, hit us up and i'll bring the stripes if you want to look at them and see if you'd like them. (they're still on the paper, never used)