How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Do most of you guys generally enjoy your jobs?

Yep!!! LOVE IT!!!!
Attached Thumbnails How much do plant operators make?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well now I'm excited. I start classes for the Process Operator position at the local college on Tuesday

This actually brings me an additional question hopefully someone will see and can answer. I was told and have read that it's possible to get a position while you're still in school, potentially upon the condition that you finish out the degree which would be around next Summer for me. Is there any truth to this? Could I, in theory, apply and get hired on somewhere like DOW after I complete this first semester?
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well now I'm excited. I start classes for the Process Operator position at the local college on Tuesday

This actually brings me an additional question hopefully someone will see and can answer. I was told and have read that it's possible to get a position while you're still in school, potentially upon the condition that you finish out the degree which would be around next Summer for me. Is there any truth to this? Could I, in theory, apply and get hired on somewhere like DOW after I complete this first semester?

Not sure about other plants,But the plant i work for actually hirerd me while i was still in school. And just hired a friend of mine a few days ago and he is still going to PT at San Jacinto and with no expereance.

But am sure every plant is diferant and dont forget...."Its who you know,Not what you know"..
Old 08-24-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Well damn! I'm liking what I'm hearing!

Someone hook me up with a job at DOW in the Brazoria County area, I'll build you a badass 4L80E or any other GM RWD transmission you want
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

All plants are different so all you can do is start applying everywhere. Maybe you will get lucky. I interviewed with Dow and they told me to call them as soon as I graduated and they would hire me.

I ended up landing an internship with Air Products and Chemicals my last semester and was hired full time after being there for a month. Been there two years and I just go hired on at Chevron and I start there next month.

My current plant is so laid back and everyone there are buddies. When everything is running smooth we have time to do whatever. Im leaving for the benefits and pension though.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JG98
Not sure about other plants,But the plant i work for actually hirerd me while i was still in school. And just hired a friend of mine a few days ago and he is still going to PT at San Jacinto and with no expereance.

But am sure every plant is diferant and dont forget...."Its who you know,Not what you know"..
what plant are you at?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

We do that where I work. I work for Motiva in Port Arthur. More places are beginning to do it too, because they are losing faith in the people coming out of college. They think they just come out here, sit on there butts and push buttons all day....but its far from it!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

Very interesting guys. Started classes today. It's definitely going to be learning intensive, but nothing I can't handle and have a strong automotive background with a focus on engineering has really helped me understand mechanical systems better than a lot of the other people in the class, I think.

The last few days, a lot of people have told me the operators work CRAZY hours. I don't doubt that per se, but some of them almost seem far fetched, like 16-18 hour work days, day after day after day for a long stretch of time.

It's gotten me a little worried because my end goal is to become a Mechanical Engineering student after I've finished these Process Operator classes. How did a number of you (and others I've seen discuss it on websites) have the time to go to school and become an Engineer while working these hours? And some of you had families as well, I'm sure!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PRO5OHHO
what plant are you at?

Air Liquide on Bayarea Blvd.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JG98
Yep!!! LOVE IT!!!!
This post isn't cool. There's enough people who think that's all we do and get a sack full of cash at the end of the day.

Snipes,

Do not listen to the bullshit that is spread in those classes. Just get through with good grades. You'll find out for yourself. Also, if you hate long hours, do not try to get into engineering for a oil/petrochemical company.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
This post isn't cool. There's enough people who think that's all we do and get a sack full of cash at the end of the day.

Snipes,

Do not listen to the bullshit that is spread in those classes. Just get through with good grades. You'll find out for yourself. Also, if you hate long hours, do not try to get into engineering for a oil/petrochemical company.
Thanks man! My teacher also said something similar when they showed us the mock control room with all of the screens that mimic what happens in the actual plant. His words were, paraphrased, "and this is where you kick back at 2AM, pull down your baseball cap and take a nap. Or make some popcorn, surf the internet, watch a movie, read a book, whatever..."

However, I've always kind of taken all of that with a grain of salt, especially considering I'll be all but guaranteed to be an outside operator for some time to come, being new and all.

Long hours don't bother me, those are how you make the good money My only concern with them for this in particular is it interfering with school to the point I can't even squeeze a class or two in to resume my engineering major. I would like Process Technology to be a stepping stone into Engineering in the O&G industry, and then landing an engineering job in that industry to be a stepping stone from there onward.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man! My teacher also said something similar when they showed us the mock control room with all of the screens that mimic what happens in the actual plant. His words were, paraphrased, "and this is where you kick back at 2AM, pull down your baseball cap and take a nap. Or make some popcorn, surf the internet, watch a movie, read a book, whatever..."

However, I've always kind of taken all of that with a grain of salt, especially considering I'll be all but guaranteed to be an outside operator for some time to come, being new and all.

Long hours don't bother me, those are how you make the good money My only concern with them for this in particular is it interfering with school to the point I can't even squeeze a class or two in to resume my engineering major. I would like Process Technology to be a stepping stone into Engineering in the O&G industry, and then landing an engineering job in that industry to be a stepping stone from there onward.
He's not wrong about kicking back on nights. But he's leaving out the important part, knowing what to do when the **** hits the fan. Takes some work to get there.

All I know about engineering is from what I see at work. They have a huge workload, and don't make my base pay. You'll see once you get on the inside. Also, don't forget about mechanical side...I&E, analyzer tech, machinist.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 PM
Launching!

im an operator and actually at work now.... so that might tell you something lol... but like zero said you dont get paid for the hard labor you get paid to know your stuff and what to do when everything goes wrong.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends where you get your engineering degree from. University of Houston? Good luck trying to get one, petroleum/chemical is the hardest one to get. My girlfriend is a biomedical engineer, brother is a mechanical engineer, couple friends are mechanical, it's a lot of hard work. If you have no life and can understand concepts easily, more power to you, because all of your chemistry and stuff will test you, on top of fluids classes and what not. I just know for full time students it takes a while and most of your time, I can't even imagine trying to work 50 hours a week and take organic chemistry 2.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Depends where you get your engineering degree from. University of Houston? Good luck trying to get one, petroleum/chemical is the hardest one to get. My girlfriend is a biomedical engineer, brother is a mechanical engineer, couple friends are mechanical, it's a lot of hard work. If you have no life and can understand concepts easily, more power to you, because all of your chemistry and stuff will test you, on top of fluids classes and what not. I just know for full time students it takes a while and most of your time, I can't even imagine trying to work 50 hours a week and take organic chemistry 2.
See, that's exactly what worries me. U of H was what I had planned, but what makes it different from other Universities? Wouldn't the MechE curriculum be about the same anywhere? I have had a life but not so much the last week with 14 credit hours and work 6 days a week. I'm (at the moment) willing to sacrifice in the short term to prepare for the long term, but I'm just worried that even with that in mind, it won't be feasible or possible at all.

From what I saw, it would be about 4 semesters, or two years. I was thinking if I enrolled in the Fall of next year, I can finish in two years after that if I go full time, but that's two years of non stop school and work and although I'm a pretty focused individual, I'm still human and prone to burn out

For MechE they only require up to Fundamentals of Chemistry II. I'm taking an intro to Chem class right now for this Associates, but I know that's child's play in comparison. Introductions to Partial Differential Equations is the course I've pegged down as the one that will be my arch nemesis, **** the Calculus in comparison.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You may want to just focus on engineering instead of driving yourself into the ground juggling an ops job and school.

At my current place when things are running ok there is plenty of free time but when **** hits the fan or something shutsdown you can work several weeks straight without a day off. Ive done almost 60 days straight before. Eventually you'll get tired and your grades will suffer and you'll just be exhausted everyday.

If engineering is ultimately what you want to do just focus on that.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dopefedz
you may want to just focus on engineering instead of driving yourself into the ground juggling an ops job and school.

At my current place when things are running ok there is plenty of free time but when **** hits the fan or something shutsdown you can work several weeks straight without a day off. Ive done almost 60 days straight before. Eventually you'll get tired and your grades will suffer and you'll just be exhausted everyday.

If engineering is ultimately what you want to do just focus on that.
cahloss!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Have yall heard anything about Kaneka, GB Bioscience or Bayer? I'm thinking of applying there and in all likelihood if I apply I will get hired, and I don't want to end up at another batch dump where I'm shoveling, rodding or loading 12 hours a day/night while being treated like a juvenile delinquent.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Buddy of mine left here at baker to bayer continuous flow lots of distillation, he loves it out there.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, that's exactly what worries me. U of H was what I had planned, but what makes it different from other Universities? Wouldn't the MechE curriculum be about the same anywhere? I have had a life but not so much the last week with 14 credit hours and work 6 days a week. I'm (at the moment) willing to sacrifice in the short term to prepare for the long term, but I'm just worried that even with that in mind, it won't be feasible or possible at all.

From what I saw, it would be about 4 semesters, or two years. I was thinking if I enrolled in the Fall of next year, I can finish in two years after that if I go full time, but that's two years of non stop school and work and although I'm a pretty focused individual, I'm still human and prone to burn out

For MechE they only require up to Fundamentals of Chemistry II. I'm taking an intro to Chem class right now for this Associates, but I know that's child's play in comparison. Introductions to Partial Differential Equations is the course I've pegged down as the one that will be my arch nemesis, **** the Calculus in comparison.
You can only transfer 66 hours over there, so never listen to what they say, and you must have at least your last 30 hours there. The engineering degree there is much harder than most places in Texas, I've seen one program harder and that's UT's (couldn't tell you about private colleges). I'd suggest A&M if you can swing it, it's definitely easier there. I agree with what everyone else is saying, focus and school and rack in the money later, don't kill yourself. Are you wanting to be a chemical or mechanical or petroleum engineer? Whatever you decide on, plan for it and commit to it, because it will **** you off and UH and big schools are the complete opposite of small classes, just register for everything you need the next semester as soon as it opens to get the best teachers, trust me.

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?