View Poll Results: Would you use the hobby shop or no?
Yes
75.86%
No
24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How many people would use this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people would use this?

How many people are out there that, either live in an apartment and cant work on there car there, or just dont have a garage period, or the tools to do what they want to there car? I fall into the apartment category. But since I'm in the military I do have an option though. On most bases we have hobby shops. Some are better than others, but they usually have the tools you need, including speacialty tools, and a big plus, they have lifts. Now the general public does not have access to these facilities, and as far as I know there is no shops like this for the general public.

So my question is, how many of you do it your-selfers, or you guy/gals that want to learn to it would use a place like this to do your repairs/upgrades?

There has been many a time where I was laying on my back pulling out that tranny, or changing a clutch, or even just a brake job that I just wish I had a lift and all the right tools to do the job right. I know there are more of you out there so let me know, and give me feed back to things you'd like to see from this kind of shop.

Last edited by kirby's hawk; 02-21-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

the auto craft shop's are awsome, the insurance liability would be the kicker for the general public tho.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a garage but a lift would still be great to have access to once in a while.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i got so used to doing everything on the floor

the first time i got to use a lift to do an oil change i took longer than when i do stands lol
but the are awsome
Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Man this is crazy. I was talking about this a while back with my buddy. It would be nice to have a shop you could go to with all the tools and a lift that you didn't have to pay for the labor because you do it yourself. I think it would totally be a huge attraction for car guys and people who want to learn. Even little things like changing your oil would be nice to do with a lift. I could go on and on about ideas we came up with for this, but I'll save it. It's crazy that we're not the only ones who thought of it. Coming up with the money to do it is the big kicker.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes id use this, id rather drive my car up there, pay you to use your shop so i could do my work.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be great to have a facility like that but people would have to bring their own tools since im sure if the shop provided them, not everyone's gonna return them. the shop could provide compressed air hoses and such for air tools tho

it would also be a good idea to have some ase certified mechanics on hand to help if and when people run into problems.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
Man this is crazy. I was talking about this a while back with my buddy. It would be nice to have a shop you could go to with all the tools and a lift that you didn't have to pay for the labor because you do it yourself. I think it would totally be a huge attraction for car guys and people who want to learn. Even little things like changing your oil would be nice to do with a lift. I could go on and on about ideas we came up with for this, but I'll save it. It's crazy that we're not the only ones who thought of it. Coming up with the money to do it is the big kicker.
I used to think about when I was younger, when I joined the military it became a reality. But, that still leaves everybody else out. Plus the hobby shop here on the fort worth base blows.

The shop can be used for just about anything. You would pay so much an hour, maybe like 5 bucks, and what normaly took you all day took you 3 hours.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
I think it would be great to have a facility like that but people would have to bring their own tools since im sure if the shop provided them, not everyone's gonna return them. the shop could provide compressed air hoses and such for air tools tho

it would also be a good idea to have some ase certified mechanics on hand to help if and when people run into problems.
That could be an issue, but there is always a solution. When someone comes in you get there credit card info for that pupose or have a refundable deposit if they need to check out tools. Have like tool cage for specialty tools, and have basic tools in each bay. Each bay would checked over for all tools returned and cleanliness before you could leave.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

well the way our shop worked that was each bay had a small lock box on the wall, you signed for a key, the box had very basic hand tools in it and several numbered tags. you turn in a tag in exchange for whatever specialty tool you loaned out. then you had to inventory the box for all tools and tags prior to leaving.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

guess you type fast than me.lol
Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
10-Second Club

You would need to charge much more that $5 an hour to make money....I'd set it up with lift only fees, tool rental fees, I'd sell oil, filters & other basic common stuff. Find some of the after market companies with cheaper buy ins & become a dealer for some stuff as well & sell it as well as do installs or let them install it themselves. Definitely sell Chilton or Helmes manuals.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
10-Second Club

But yeah, insurance would be a ****...and do you really want some schmuck trying to guide a car on a lift or chancing his hoopie falling off the lift because he didn't put it on there correctly.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Modsquad
But yeah, insurance would be a ****...and do you really want some schmuck trying to guide a car on a lift or chancing his hoopie falling off the lift because he didn't put it on there correctly.
should have an employee lift all cars to minimize insurance risks
Old 02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Modsquad
That's probably where the "sign this waiver right here over the dotted line" or you hire at least one person to do the "setting up the cars on the lifts" to offset any possibilities of any lift mishaps.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

Yah there is definitely some good behind this idea...there is also alot of liability. With the right business sense behind it I think it could be very successful
Old 02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

UNLESS! the shop had several sets of tools, lets say, 1 set per lift or work area, when you go to get the tools you have to put down a deposit or give them your license, im sure noone would take the tools then.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

id be really interested
Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

should have an employee lift all cars to minimize insurance risks
Agreed, that would be the safest idea.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I once had this same idea to do but on a larger scale then what you all are talking and yes the insurance , cost of leases and the wantnots and what the bays had to rent for ... there was not enough interest in the comunity to support such a endeavor.