Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

How many watts does a refrigerator use....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default How many watts does a refrigerator use....

for start up and when running? I'm looking at HF 12V converters, to power the frige when the power goes out. I've been using my parents generator, but man those things eat gas! So I was thinking I could build my own, power station. Use a lawn motor engine, that will turn an alternator, that will recharge the 12V battery, that will run the converter, that will run the fridge. When that battery dies, swap it out, and charger it.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.21 jigawatts!

seriously though isnt there usually an energy sticker on them that shows power ratings?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
for start up and when running? I'm looking at HF 12V converters, to power the frige when the power goes out. I've been using my parents generator, but man those things eat gas! So I was thinking I could build my own, power station. Use a lawn motor engine, that will turn an alternator, that will recharge the 12V battery, that will run the converter, that will run the fridge. When that battery dies, swap it out, and charger it.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
you could also set up a staionary bike for turning the alternator.

3-4 amps

Last edited by VETTEX2; 09-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the more beer in it the cooler it will stay ,the less it will run until you run out of beer.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just do what they did in breaking bad lol hand crank the generator
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
All refers draw a different amount and the only way to know is to look at the label or measure it. The number of watts is calculated by the current draw (amps) times the supply voltage (120). The label might indicate the maximum draw during defrost so running wattage might only be discovered by measurement.

The current draw is not only higher during defrost mode but is also much greater during motor start. For those reasons you need an inverter (or generator) with enough reserve capacity.

You could use an inverter but we need to remeber that every time you convert one form of energy to another ther is usually a loss of enrgy in the form of heat generated. For a short term the inverter should work fine but the battery charge will probably discharge quickly, especially if the frefer is in the defrost mode. In the event of a long term power outage you will need a generator or other device to run a charger to keep the battery mantained while it is powering the inverter which is pwering the refer, with an efficiency loss at each step.

In other words, the generator is probably the best method for anything but a very short term power outage.

Quick Reply: How many watts does a refrigerator use....