Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Short Block Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Block Build Up

Hey,
Looking to build a forged 347 short block for a future project, curious as to what i would need as far as tool wise. I have a nice chunk of tools, but i need to know what i need to buy as far specialty tools. Next semister i'm taking an engine class and i want to build it shortly after it is over, so summer of 05.
I have some experience with engines, but never a complete build up. I know what parts I will need, but its the tools that dictate how far i can go with the job.

Erik
Old 09-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, your going to need a torque wrench. A good one. Not the one that they sell in murray's for $25. I like the Snap-On half inch with a 3\4 extension. Try to get it with the smallest ft-lbs length as possible, because it is more accurate. (ex. 30ft-lbs. to 125ft-lbs is a more accurate wrench that 30ft-lbs to 250ft-lbs.) I like the 50 to 150 range. Yo're going to need an angle gauge, a ring filer, a ring expander, a ring compressor,steel stamps, calipers, outside micrometers (mikes), Telescoping Gauges, Small hole gauge, dial indicator, dial bore gauge. There's more to it, but these are all the specialty tools.

Quick Reply: Short Block Build Up