Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Painting??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting??

I see there are a lot of people who paint their cars or parts of their car at home in their garage and it turns out nice. What are you guys doing to keep dust, bugs, overspray, and overall **** in the air off of your painted product? Everytime I try to paint anything it is a magnet for any crap in the air.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean your garage. Wet the floor to keep down dust. Wipe your parts with a wipe down solivent and tac rag before spraying. Leave doors shut until the part flashes to help keep out bugs. Keep things you don't want painted covered. Use a good 3m masking tape to tape off parts.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

And be ready to wet sand and buff out all the rest of the **** that finds it way on to the paint even after all the above precautions. Heck, I took my spoiler off and re-cleared it outside. Not too much crap on it but I wet sanded and buffed and it looks body shop quality.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 03-15-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Depending on the size of your garage, try making a mini-booth out of plastic paint tarps, works well and helps keep the dust down. Also wet floor down. You will need to wet sand and buff to get the look I am sure you want.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

When I painted my black Mustang, we just cleaned out the garage best we could, and used the air compressor to blow off every surface we could. We got the garage as clean as a garage can possibly be. Wiped the car down really well after it was scuffed and dusted outside. Then we misted the floor and rolled the car in, and went over it one more time with a tack cloth. There was still a tiny amount of dust in the paint, but nothing that didn't come out very quickly with the normal wet sanding.

If there's one rule for a successful paint job, its that the finish is in the preparation. You can lay down the best paint job on a crappy base, and it'll look horrible. Even cheap paint can look good on a good prep job.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.autobodystore.com/

This site has great info. on painting cars. Search the site.

Quick Reply: Painting??