Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

How to determine value of used Snap On tools

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

the strap-on 3/8 drive flex head bent handle (non-soft grip, because **** that fruity ****) is hands down the best ratchet made. if I can take one thing with me to hell when I die, that'll be my huckleberry.

but for $20 you can get a tekton that is 80% as good for 90% less money. thats what I have in my box at work.

my well-to-do friends tell me there is some high end japanese **** out there that makes the top shelf domestic bolt turning devices look like stone-age monkey sticks.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdubyatx
Being a Snap On dealer is no easy way to make a living, being a Mac or Matco is as bad or worse. The dealer can buy new from corporate for about 65-70% of list. Not a lot of margin. That said how much do you think he can give an individual for used trade. Used Snap-On is generally worth 50-65% of list if in good condition. Therefore the dealer can only give you about 30-40% of list in trade if he has any chance of making a profit on your used stuff. Re: Snap-On vs Craftsman, Service, Finish, Metallurgy, Credit, and Re-sale are a few reasons people choose Snap-On or Mac or Matco over Sears.
First post is bumping 12 y/o thread to promote own business. You win the game.

I LOL'd at the guy who said "cHraftsmen" like 6 times in one post...
Old 02-03-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

i use The Chraftsman wrenches I got for Christmas
Old 02-03-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

and damn I if could clear 30-35% margin on my **** I'd be in alright shape.

what is overhead for a leased truck? is there a franchise fee?

hand out some free stickers and hats once in a while.

sounds aight
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50% for Snap On is a steal. If you can get down as low as that you're not doing too badly at all!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I worked for Matco at the HQ in Ohio, usual start up for a new distributor was around 90k. That was franchise/route, truck lease, and intial inventory. hard line products didn't have great margin. Maybe 30-35%. Power tools are even worse margin for the most part. Money is in tool storage.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
Why Snap On hands down? If you dont know thw value of them, and ask here, you couldnt possably know the difference between the snap on and chraftsman. I wrench on lots of stuff and love my chraftsman tools. I use snap ons at work and dont love them any more. For my own use I pefer the chrastman. they are a lot easer to return if any thing happens to them. If you don't abuse them, you will be hard pressed to ruin eaven a screwdriver. I have ruined a few rachets but sears has been happy to replace them that very day. as for snap on, good luck trying to find a truck and they dont have any slection of tools at the world head quarters here in MI. If you need to buy anything that doesn't come in the tools you have been offered, it could cost you far more then a hole set of craftsman. I will say if you said you would be getting specialty tools like pullers snap ring plyers, gauges and ring compressors then I would perfer them over craftman. Sorry for the slam but I love my tools LOL
Are you serious. I didnt look at the date on this thread but you say that you use Craftsman at home and Snap-On at work and you cant tell a difference? Snap-On is a far superior tool. Ratchets have double the teeth, their cordless tools carry twice the torque. They dont break. Period. Snap On tools do not break! 21 years I have never seen it. aside from user error of course. If anyone is debating wether to spend the cash for Snap On, I say if you got it, spend it. They are worth every penny. Only thing made outside of China or Indonesia worth a **** anymore.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Durnil
Are you serious.
I don't think he cares what you think 15yrs after he made that post and 10 years since he's been on this forum lol
The following 2 users liked this post by LLLosingit:
G Atsma (12-29-2020), Old Geezer (01-01-2021)

Quick Reply: How to determine value of used Snap On tools