Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

welding stainless to carbon steel

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question welding stainless to carbon steel

I'm assuming this can be done, but will there be any negative consequences besides the fact that it will rust? Any special techniques? I have access to a millermatic mig welder (not sure of the model). It has argon gas setup and wire feed. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by exhappen
I'm assuming this can be done, but will there be any negative consequences besides the fact that it will rust? Any special techniques? I have access to a millermatic mig welder (not sure of the model). It has argon gas setup and wire feed. Thanks for any help.
Ive heard many say that they have done it and it works well. Ive also heard that stainless will corrode or eat away at the other metal. Either way it wont be as strong as welding alike metals.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to find this much. There's a sea of information, but most of it seems to be production oriented and is used in joining very different materials.

Welding Mild Steel to Stainless Steel
Mixed-metal welding can be satisfactory, generally using an over-alloyed welding consumable such as Grade 309L, but caution must be exercised to prevent carbon migration into the part of the stainless steel exposed to the corrosive environment. Differential expansion rates can also lead to excessive stresses, particularly at tack welds.

THERMAL EXPANSION
The coefficient of thermal expansion of both materials is another important factor. If these are widely different, there will be internal stresses set up in the intermetallic zone during any temperature change of the weldment. If the intermetallic zone is extremely brittle, service failure may soon occur.

The bottom line seems to be stresses. I remember from a long time ago when I welded a lot of stainless steel how much it shrinks as it cools.

Might want to consider a clamp or bolt type join...

Old 05-02-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took an aircraft welding class and to weld a stainless steel, you would use a carbizing flame. For welding carbon steel or high carbon content steel, you would use an oxiding flame because an carbizing flame would harden the carbon steel and make it brittle.

However corroision and brittleness between the two metals when welded will pose a problem.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have used 75/25 (75% Argon/25% CO2) or pure CO2 when welding Stainless to Carbon Steel. We do a lot of this mixed welding around boats, as Stainless stell is more common now than it used to be. It works, but its not perfect.

Quick Reply: welding stainless to carbon steel