Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

mig welder

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default mig welder

Just recieved a sale flyer from Harbor Freight. They have a 230volt mig/flux welder on sale for $199.99 item number 06271-4yva. I t looks like their house brand (?) Chicago Electric. Anyone have any experience with this welder? I am considering upgrading my 110v mig only welder and this looks like a decent alternative. Most of my work will be sheet metal.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i can say this about migs ... if it is a gas or gassless then invest in the gas cuz the flux core welds like pure ****

i use one cuz thats all i have got for now ... it spatters everywhere, but the gas makes a neat weld

i have a mig from harbor freight that is gasless and the weld looks awefull ... i have used a lincoln without gas and it looked like hell too though .... the gas makes all the difference
Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
i can say this about migs ... if it is a gas or gassless then invest in the gas cuz the flux core welds like pure ****

i use one cuz thats all i have got for now ... it spatters everywhere, but the gas makes a neat weld

i have a mig from harbor freight that is gasless and the weld looks awefull ... i have used a lincoln without gas and it looked like hell too though .... the gas makes all the difference
Good input. The main reason I was thinking about switching was to go with th eflux option, the one I have now uses the gas and works O.K. I was thinking of upgrading to a slightly larger welder. Guess I will save my money ( yeah right!).