Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

air ratchet, butterfly impact, big standard wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air ratchet, butterfly impact, big standard wrenches

harbor freight air ratcet..anyone have any previous exp with a harbor freight air ratchet? i am in need of one and they have a vast selection of them and was wondering about quality..also maybee getting a butterfly impact as well..a guy i worked with told me to look for the brass seats instea of the plastic ones right behind the butterfly valve and it should last a while..the plastic ones blow out..any exp with these "china mades" as i refer to them..also i need some suggestions on where to get a good set of big wrenches..i need some wrenches 1" to about 1 7/8" . i would buy a good set but since they rarely see any use..im just gonna source some china mades to do...its just that sometimes when you need them and dont have them..i had borrowing teh shop tools at work..like to have them in my box with me as to avoid me having to walk to the shop.
matt
Old 06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are cheap enought to buy another one when they break. I have some die grinders from HF, but do not really use them much.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had good luck with the HF Professional Series air ratchets. Thet are cheap too. I use the **** out of my 1/4" drive one and it just keeps on going. I just bought a 3/8 drive one and it works great too. I also have a 3/8 drive butterfly impact but find I hardly ever use it on the car. It's handy for working on things like lawn mowers though. Just be sure and oil them occasionally.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

If you want an ½ drive impact one get a good one with at least 500 ft-lbs torque or more. They run right at $100+. The one I have that I like best has double air impact hammers, is rated at 750 ft-lbs, and the type used in tire shops. Hasn't failed to either remove anything so far, and that includes rusted lug nuts on a boat trailer that is used in saltwater. It had lug bolts (not nuts) and it spun then righ out, of course ther were so rusted I replace them and used some anti-sieze on the new ones. You will be disapointed in any of the cheaper/weaker ½ drives as they will have trouble with lug nuts exhaust manifold bolts head bolts etc.

As for ¼ drive air ratchet, who really need one of them, come to think of it I can't remember seeing one in a long time. You can get by with just about any 3/8 drive air ratchet, none really put out a lot of torque, so the cheap ones get the job done as well as the expensive ones do.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't beat a 1/4" drive air ratchet and a deep 8mm and 10mm socket for cam installs. Light weight compared to the 3/8 drive and perfect for coil pack bolts, valve cover bolts. rocker arm bolts, w/p bolts, timing chain cover bolts, cam sprocket bolts, none of which require a lot of tq and no worry of stripping threads either. I save the 3/8 drive for spinning in and out head bolts.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The price on them is great. By the time they break, who really cares! Get another one! I have yet to have one break on me and I use them all the time.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I own many HF air tools. No problems so far - a really decent product for dirt cheap...

Quick Reply: air ratchet, butterfly impact, big standard wrenches