Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Why is Snap-On stuff so expensive...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've founs some KILLER deals on ebay. One thing in particular to look for is broken Snap-On tools on Ebay. I dunno why people elect to sell them broken instead of getting a new one, but I see it all the time. Buy it broken for cheap and then get a new replacement the next time the truck comes around.

I got a set of MAC Python pliers on Ebay for $22 that were beat to ****. Got them replaced a week later with a brand new set. They still had the $109 price tag hanging on them!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I wish I could afford a nice set of Snap On Tool. Maybe when I remodel my garage I can add that to the second on the house. LOL !!!

I know Snap-on are better. I haven't broken a Craftman yet. Just call me trailer trash.

Where do you guys get all this money?
The following users liked this post:
streetperf (01-19-2020)
Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Snap-On is nice stuff, especially for guys that turn wrenches for a living. They are more durable and you can abuse the tools more. But, for those of us that don't work on tools all day long every day, the Craftsman stuff is just fine. I've been building and modifying cars for over 16 years, and I've yet to break a Craftsman tool that was being used properly and maintained. I've broken a ratchet before....but I was using it as a hammer at the time. I've also broke a few 1/4" sockets by putting way too much torque on them using a 1/2" breaker bar and reducer (damn rusted bolts are tight!). LOL!

Use them properly, and they typically won't break.

$15K for any toolbox is just ridiculous. You could build your own bad **** box out of stainless and pay for the TIG welder and welding lessons for less than that
Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mecinoid
Man I wish I could afford a nice set of Snap On Tool. Maybe when I remodel my garage I can add that to the second on the house. LOL !!!

I know Snap-on are better. I haven't broken a Craftman yet. Just call me trailer trash.

Where do you guys get all this money?
i have been wrecnhing on nissan's and ford ya fords for the last 3 and a half years professionally. so i have some job security thats where i get my money
Old 09-04-2005, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Has anyone tried snap-on's 1/4" ratchets recently? Or how about their electric drills? I've used a lot of older snap-on tools that were great quality, but most of their recent tools that I've used were inferior at best. I would love to know if there is really any difference between snap-on tools and cobalt (lowe's brand) tools, since they come out of the same factory.
streetperf (01-19-2020)
Old 09-05-2005, 07:51 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by gametech
Has anyone tried snap-on's 1/4" ratchets recently?
I have a TH737 (swivel head 1/4" drive ratchet) that's really nice. I would buy the 11" long 3/8" version FH747 if I didn't already have two of the SK 3870 already. There's a good thread on the swivel head ratchets if you search this forum.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

i have the swivel head 1/4 inch snap on too. it has treated me well thus far, although as far as snap opn electric drills i would personally look elsewhere FOR SURE. i will not even consider them. i like dewalt...

louie
Old 09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default the snap on name

Sap on tool are so expensive because of the name i have alot of them at school and thats all the reason craftsman proffesiaonal series are jstu as good and if it breaks you can just run to sears on your luch break to get a new one. where i have to wait all week til lthe snap on guy comes thats if he shows which he hasnt in a few months. service hasnt been to great with snap on. Anyway all snap on air tools are out sourced so u pay more just for the name stamped on teh side, But its up to the person i know some people ahve had bad expiriences with craftsman ratchets breaking and slaming there hand badly but the new professonal ones are much better and there polishes with a nice wide grip handle for comfort. All tech and do it yourselvers will have all different kinds of tool brands in there box over time. Its all pesonal preference what u buy.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

z28, you go to NTI by any chance? If so, I'm sorry...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turn wrenches every day for a living and don't own one snap-on tool. I can't see spending that much for tools. The only thing I ever return to Sears are 3/8 drive rachets and allen wrenches. Other then that no problems. I will say this much, one of the guys at work had a set of Snap on allen wrenches and they did 10 x better on a project where we were constantly using a 4mm allen wrench. The craftsman rounded and the snap-on didn't.
Union Racing (11-20-2021)
Old 09-10-2005, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the same boat. My techs have probably 60k in tools just in the shop alone, not including what the bossman has.

I use Snap on/MAC/Matco stuff everyday. When I come home and use my Craftsmen stuff, I do not feel as though I am using a cheaper tool by any means. I have broken a few sockets due to the impact, just as I have with the Snap on. Thats it.

I would rather take my tools, pay cash for them, and then finance a car payment instead
Old 09-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Launching!

ill stick with the craftsman tools and toolboxes I have, and have had for ever since I can remember
Old 09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no i dont go to nti
Old 09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

The reason people use Snap-on tools is becuase they DONT break.

Imagine using a craftsman wrench, and it breaks while your trying to loosen a rusted bolt. Well at the same time the wrench breaks, you also break your finger on something as your hand goes flying from the wrench breaking.

Yeah of course both have lifetime warrenties, but those snap-on's dont break.

Oh yeah, i just broke a craftsman wrench last weekend also, doing the same thing, trying to loosen a rusty bolt.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I would hate to count the number of snapon sockets that have broken under minimal load. The newer ratchets have had a lot of breakage issues, too. The only snapon tools I have found yet that are actually superior to cheaper tools are the electric impact wrenches and the digital torque wrenches.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just some food for fodder...

I work for IRWIN industrial tools and we make probably 40 percent of Snap-ons tools. You pay so much cause they buy them high from us and you're buying there name...quality's all the same. Ask me about Craftsman
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PopaPork
Just some food for fodder...

I work for IRWIN industrial tools and we make probably 40 percent of Snap-ons tools. You pay so much cause they buy them high from us and you're buying there name...quality's all the same. Ask me about Craftsman
Okay... tell us about Cman. BTW, isn't IRWIN doing alot of manufacturing overseas? What does IRWIN still make in teh USA? Just curious...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Default snap-on

Do you guys try to bargain with your snap-on dealer?ours would always lower the price to get us to buy more tools.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Gametech,

I used to work for Lowe's as an Assistant Store Manager and about 2 years ago their Cobalt line of J.H. Williams (Snap-On), was discontinued for the more profitable Danahar. So with Danahar making their product (who makes Craftsman, Cobalt and Matco) it's not as good as it once was. Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah IRWIN does its fair share over seas. In this day in age you gotta go over seas to get a price that you can sell in to Sears, HD, Lowes and the IC chains. Some of the Straight Line product, all the ViseGrips, all our tool boxes, all our blades, blue blades recip blades and some smaller odds n ends are made here still. Craftsman, put it this way...I'm looking at 5 things right now we make for them. Anyone who sells a UniBit...its made by us.

Last edited by PopaPork; 09-29-2005 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Why is Snap-On stuff so expensive...?