Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Painted my ws9 outlaw hood...tried something different...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painted my ws9 outlaw hood...tried something different...opinions?

I tried for a slightly different look. Painted the whole hood pewter then painted the ram air inlets black then cleared it...came out pretty good for a garage paint job Had to let the clear dry overnight before putting it on the car

Any thoughts/comments?

Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

it turned out real nice! i was thinking of doing that if i ever got around to appearance mods. pewter and black themes work out quite nicely.

is that VFN's version of the US Exotics ws9 hood? if so what is the difference? i used to talk to roger on and off and always wanted one of his hoods. you'll have to let me know how fitment is.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

hmmm, have to see it on the car. Gut feeling is that it will make the nostrils look too big.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious, how'd you paint it - rattle can or do you have a gun? I have 2 hoods here that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

It looks good!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have the CETA style paint on the bumper too? You'll need black accents on other parts of the car to keep the nostrils from looking out of place.

It does look nice.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

painted with with PPG base/clear with a HVLP gun.

I'm thinking the same thing...I may need to do the nostrils on the bumper to make it really work...

I'm also thinking about putting the black in the PONTIAC on the back. I was planning on painting the heat extractors the same way, but I was really tired last night and didn't feel like dealing with taping that out...

I did paint the rear of the hood (the cowl section) black though

this is one of roger's hoods I bought used. it sits a bit high on the sides (by the fenders) but may have been exaggerated by the fact the hood was black gelcoat.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll bet it makes it look like the car has evil eyes
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

What size compressor do you use? I'm wondering if the one I have will work okay for painting cars with an HVLP. Its the Craftsman one in this pic:
http://users.ev1.net/~ynot_dv8/shop01.jpg

I just ordered about $400 worth of airbrush equipment and paint yesterday, probably going to practice some graphics on posterboard for now, then eventually paint ghost flames on the Dodge, maybe some other flames on the Harley, and graphics on the racecar.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Homedepot husky 60 gal 7hp 220v.

11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI

HVLP guns are typically airhogs. I could paint the whole panel without it kicking on, but my gun is 13.5 CFM @ 30PSI (sharpe Titanium T1) so I wouldn't really try painting a whole car with it.

I believe your compressor will really fight to keep up with an HVLP, even for panel painting

Lucky for me I work on a military base and have access to a paintbooth for the larger jobs $45/day
Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I painted my old black mustang with my dinky 20gal craftsman single stage compressor. My DeVilbiss Finishline II HVLP gun is an air hog, but you can manage it pretty well. You just pause for a couple seconds after each pass and there's plenty of air.

Tony, if you want a hood to practice on, you can have the stock hood off my Formula.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brains
I painted my old black mustang with my dinky 20gal craftsman single stage compressor. My DeVilbiss Finishline II HVLP gun is an air hog, but you can manage it pretty well. You just pause for a couple seconds after each pass and there's plenty of air.

Tony, if you want a hood to practice on, you can have the stock hood off my Formula.
Problem with them running so much is the moisture buildup in the airstream. I would run a few filters minimum. My setup uses a watertrap/filter at the compressor and a dessicant filter on the gun input
Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Here are the specs on my compressor:

SCFM Delivery At 40 psi 8.6 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 6.8 SCFM
Compressor Tank Capacity 25 gal.
Maximum Compressor psi 150 psi
Compressor Tank Pump Style Oil Lube
Compressor Tank Type Horizontal
Amps 15.0
Horsepower 2 hp

Do you think I could paint 'okay' with a compressor that size? Basically, I'd just need an inline oil/water seperator and a decent gun, right?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I still think I'm just gonna drop the bucks on the 4-stage HVLP turbine kit with respirator. I need to paint 2 whole cars, 2 hoods, a nose, a fender, and rear bumper at a minimum.

With the turbine, I don't have to worry about humidity (my dinky compressor starts blowing water pretty quickly when it's even a little humid outside, even though I have a water separator). I also don't have to worry about fumes (with the built in respirator). I'm going to turn half my shed area in to a paint booth (where my trailer is currently parked).

I'm going to start with the Fiero. Even a crappy paint job will double its value. I may paint it navy blue metallic, since I'll be using that paint on my 98Z's hood also.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

LIke I said, try 2 filters. use a typical 'large' separator at the compressor and a second small inline one at the gun.

What are the specs of the gun?

SOme good info here:
http://www.spraygunworld.com/Information2/CFM.htm
Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Andrew, any links to turbine kits? After being quoted $4000-6000 for the repaint of my '69, I'm also tempted just to spend that on equipment and do things myself from now on.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
After being quoted $4000-6000 for the repaint of my '69
thats my biggest driver for learning to do it myself...thats alot of coin.

Later this year I'm planning on repainting project wife's car and even a "friend" painting it who is really good and me helping, he quoted 2K

I priced all the material...$825 + random sand paper, tack cloths, etc
Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Have you ordered from that spraygunworld place? Would you recommend them?

Nice FAQ page, it looks like I should be able to paint with my compressor
Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is the one I have had my eye on for several months now. I keep coming back to it. It's a 4-stage, with fresh air respirator, and an Accuspray gravity feed gun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4447945816

It's not cheap though. But after having primered a car and gone through the fume / overspray thing, I like the idea of a fresh air respirator. 4 stages also apprently helps lay down a better pattern as well (paint dries faster).

I'm thinking that with as much as I have to do, and as expensive as paint work is these days, I might as well invest in that.

They also offer models (for less $$) that have suction feed guns, or no fresh air respirator, or 3 stage, etc... that's their most expensive optioned up kit right there.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Have you ordered from that spraygunworld place? Would you recommend them?

Nice FAQ page, it looks like I should be able to paint with my compressor
thats where I bought my gun. I don't like the fact you can't get online order status. The original gun I ordered was backordered and they never really contacted me, they said they tried contacting me, but never left a message. So I changed to a better model. Nonetheless, the sharpe I bought was 50-75 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I found it.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
This is the one I have had my eye on for several months now. I keep coming back to it. It's a 4-stage, with fresh air respirator, and an Accuspray gravity feed gun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4447945816

It's not cheap though. But after having primered a car and gone through the fume / overspray thing, I like the idea of a fresh air respirator. 4 stages also apprently helps lay down a better pattern as well (paint dries faster).

I'm thinking that with as much as I have to do, and as expensive as paint work is these days, I might as well invest in that.

They also offer models (for less $$) that have suction feed guns, or no fresh air respirator, or 3 stage, etc... that's their most expensive optioned up kit right there.
Thats an awful lot of coin for something to do as a hobbyist. I've never personally seen a turbine system used by a professional

One other thing I know is the EPA is apparently trying to restrict car paint sales to certified professionals come 2011...

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec2005/legis.cfm

Quick Reply: Painted my ws9 outlaw hood...tried something different...opinions?