Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Pinion Seal Remover Tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Seal Remover Tool

hey does anyone know where i can rent or buy the tool that replaces pinion seals, because im leaking rear end fluid real bad..i live in linden NJ..thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBoarder216
hey does anyone know where i can rent or buy the tool that replaces pinion seals, because im leaking rear end fluid real bad..i live in linden NJ..thanks

Umm, if you plan on replacing the seal the correct way, you'll need a new crush collar (or solid collar with shims) and reset the pinion after you replace the seal....

To remove it, just tap it out from the inside of the housing after you remove the diff and pinion....

To install it, just tap it in place with a mallet....

If you want to replace the seal without opening everything up, you could mark the nut position, count the number of turns it takes to remove it, pry the seal out with a screwdriver, tap the new one in place, then tighten the nut with the same amount of turns it took to remove it, but I wouldn't recommend it....

Rick
Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

I have a tool real similar to this one. Bought it at Sears.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
Umm, if you plan on replacing the seal the correct way, you'll need a new crush collar (or solid collar with shims) and reset the pinion after you replace the seal....

To remove it, just tap it out from the inside of the housing after you remove the diff and pinion....

To install it, just tap it in place with a mallet....

If you want to replace the seal without opening everything up, you could mark the nut position, count the number of turns it takes to remove it, pry the seal out with a screwdriver, tap the new one in place, then tighten the nut with the same amount of turns it took to remove it, but I wouldn't recommend it....

Rick

You can definitely do this bottom method if you're just replacing the seal. I did it on mine ~2 years ago and it hasn't leaked or caused any noise or anything since.

Dope
Old 12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dope
You can definitely do this bottom method if you're just replacing the seal. I did it on mine ~2 years ago and it hasn't leaked or caused any noise or anything since.Dope
Its what we all do @ the shop!!!

Quick Reply: Pinion Seal Remover Tool