Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

harbor freight 2 ton shop crane review

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harbor freight 2 ton shop crane review

i noticed in the harbor freight flyer i received that their two ton shop cranes were on sale for 149.99 (or something like that). i also had a 15% off coupon so i figured it was a good enough deal. I need to flip my trailer over to do some work to it, so i figure that i ought to use a cherry picker to make my life a lot easier. i drove down to my local harbor freight yesterday and picked it up. today i assembled it.

i began assembly. the crane comes in two seperate boxes. the base is preassmebled. the metal here looks like it is just shy of .120 wall. The legs are connected with two pins on each side, and the legs can fold up. This crane is actually pretty big, but it takes up little space when it is folded.
Next the piece that goes straight off the base is bolted on. It is just square stock, a little thicker, with 1/4" flat bar welded to the bottom on the sides so it can bolt down. A large nuisance is the way that the heat from the welding warped the flat stock to the point it is nearly a 30 degree angle. Impact wrench straigten this out no problem.
Eveything else goes on pretty darn easy. assembly took close to no time and was very easy. I have it all assembled and i am actually very surprised how sturdy it is. Some of the welds have warped some of the metal around it sligtly, but i straightened that out. I will definitely try to go back over some of them as i found one that was slightly off mark. I went to test the bottle jack. no go. i bled it and re-bled many times. Very frustrating. mine came with a bad jack. i will go back tomorrow morning to get a new one and report on how well it flips over my trailer, and hopefully will have pictures with the trailer hanging from it.

one thing i recommend is if you have to bring it back and throw it in the back of your truck to take it somewhere, have a friend or three. I put it in the back of my truck by myself and it feels like i threw out my back. hurts bad. hopefully this thing will be worth the pain i am feeling, the low cost was a plus by a chiropractor will definteily negate my savings.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

today i got the new ram for the crane. i broke my impact wrench working on a friend's car go i got sidetracked. my brother came by though and i had him hold the ram while i lifted him up. it lifted his 165 lbs without a problem. i will try to have some pictures up on monday of it doing some work and where i think problem spots might be.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Launching!

i jjust used one to life the entire car off the front sub frame engine/trans worked great, although i didnt have it on the 2 ton setting and as I got the car up high enough to slide it out the back end of the shop crane was up in the air worked anyway but looked scary as hell ahaha

Quick Reply: harbor freight 2 ton shop crane review