Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Main Cap Removal Tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Cap Removal Tool

Guys, while in Michigan last year I was exposed to a unique tool that the guys at Thomson Automotive built to remove main caps from LS engines. Thomson automotive does a lot of work for GM on various projects. They have a lot of work on LS based engines. The tool was slick as hell.
I was with Brian Thomson at the PRI show and he showed me a prototype of the tool that they were going to sell. It was on display in the SDPC booth and they took orders for them. I picked up my tool this week and I thought that I would tell a few people about the tool. I think that SDPC sells them as well as Thomsom Automotive.

Here is the press release and some pictures.

NEW ‘LS’ ENGINE MAIN CAP TOOL FROM THOMSON AUTOMOTIVE

REDFORD, Mich. – Thomson Automotive Inc. has the tool builders of GM “LS” V-8 engines are looking for – a removal tool for the main bearing caps. Made of sturdy steel and lightweight, anodized aluminum, the main cap removal tool is easy to use and drastically reduces the time – and frustration – needed to pull the main caps out of an LS cylinder block.

The LS engine main caps have extremely tight tolerances in the block, thanks to the deep-skirt block design and cross-bolted main caps. This makes removal very difficult and time-consuming with conventional tools.

Thomson’s main cap removal tool simplifies the process. After hooking the tool to the bottom of the cap, the engine builder simply presses down on the anodized aluminum handles. The balanced leverage of the motion pulls the cap out of the block with one swift motion. The tool holds the cap, too, allowing the builder to carry it to a workbench.

For more information or to order one of the tools, call Thomson Automotive at 313-538-0044.

I confirmed that SDPC also sells these tools.

Robin
Attached Thumbnails Main Cap Removal Tool-thomson-02small.jpg   Main Cap Removal Tool-thomson-03small.jpg   Main Cap Removal Tool-thomson-04small.jpg  

Last edited by Robin L; 02-16-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

ha... thats pretty slick. I wish i had pictures of the hillbilly old school one ive used with a c-clamp and vise grips welded to a jig.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Any idea of the approx price?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Teching In

HERE IS A EBAY SITE THAT SELLS THEM LOOKS LIKE $200.00http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190200930802
Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

sick!!!!

i need one right now.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice tool!

Quick Reply: Main Cap Removal Tool