User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

LS1Tech Having Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're making day to day improvements, glad to hear tonight is doing well -- Sunday night will really be the test, we usually have pretty heavy activity then.

Frustration is one thing, being able to accurately and repeatedly reproduce specific issues. I don't have any unusual connection, or direct connection to the servers -- they're in Los Angeles, I'm in Houston on Comcast cable. So theoretically I should see the same things as everyone else. That's why I need as much detail as possible -- because if I browse the site like I normally do and it seems fast, but you see slowdowns, we might be doing things differently. I need to know how YOU can make issues occur, and then I can mimic what you are doing and chase down the problems. I genuinely want to make sure this site works the best it absolutely can for EVERYONE, but I need that detailed feedback/test case
Old 08-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Today's details: When I logged on both times, the main page was slow to load, and the spaces for sponsor ads are 3x wider, with the ad regular size in the middle. It sits like that for a while. The page doesn't fully load, but when I click on a forum, the page loads normally and the sponsor ads are in place. From that point on, the site seems to function normally.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

That might be your browser filling the cache -- it'll be "actual" speed until it's in the cache, then very fast from there on out. Pretty normal, because the LS1Tech home page is pretty "heavy" and graphics intensive (with all those sponsor ads). We're looking into splitting off a lot of those images to a dedicated lightweight httpd daemon optimized just for that kind of thing, which should help speed up that initial load time.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Canuck13
It's back to normal now, and it was very slow here over the last 2-3 days. Keep up the good work, I know smaller forums that have more problems then this and have 1/4 of the members.
Yea me too. But how can you compare the amount of money this site makes by thos little ads you see on the right ------------->
Plenty to have good servers Im sure;
smaller sites pay servers out of the owners pockets that is why

Last edited by Kmoore; 08-28-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I am having smiley slowdown in the advanced post section

Sometimes the advancd functions don work and it clicks and moves the page up but does not do what you wanted.

EX: In the go advanced way to post. i like to write my reply 1st, then highlight the part I want, then just click on "B" or "size" etc and it automatically does it to the highlighted words.
Lately it just clicks, moves the view to the topmost of the page and wont do the above expected thing.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those highlighting features are 100% client-end stuff. If they don't work, it's almost certain something wonky with your browser.

I'm playing with it right now, and as you can see it works

As for the smilies, that will also be part of the image daemon work we'll be doing. Don't have an ETA though, as search is priority #1
Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Figured this is an issue I have 65535 unread messages but no true unread messages
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Those highlighting features are 100% client-end stuff. If they don't work, it's almost certain something wonky with your browser.

I'm playing with it right now, and as you can see it works

As for the smilies, that will also be part of the image daemon work we'll be doing. Don't have an ETA though, as search is priority #1

hahahaha thanx Brains.

The slowdown earlier was eating up 100% of my PC usage!!!
And I have Cable modem with 1.5 GB ram and 160GB HD.

Something was odd, but it stopped now.

and on the search being 1st
Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

CPU utilization is also all your end -- and I've had the browser eat up 100% of the cpu before as well, and kinda just freeze. It happens so infrequently, I just restart it and go about my business.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I have noticed some speed-up in the past three days, both at home and at work. The thing that really takes so long (up to 18 seconds or more) is loading all the ads.

Steve

Quick Reply: LS1Tech Having Problems?