Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Alignment for lowered car in socal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alignment for lowered car in socal?

Looking for an alignment in San Diego.

Been to a few of the regular chain places this weekend, they had no clue how to deal with adjustable suspension or lowered cars in general. I want to make sure its good to go so my tires don't wear out prematurely, but I can't seem to find a shop that has half a clue. Anyone got a place they recommend?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's adjustable about the suspension? If u have adjustable camber then they shouldn't have a problem, unless u need to buy ecentricts for the adjustment. My car is lowered and I don't have a problem with tire wear yet.... Rear shouldn't wear like the front. How bad is your alignment off?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any of the major retailers can "check" your alignment to make sure its all within specs, and i really cant imagine any B grade technician not being able to adjust your alignment back into specs. its the cars without adjustable components that give us a hard time. the more adjustment points the better.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just the regular adjustable parts in the back, I'm wondering if he just didn't want to work on a modified car?

I'm not really sure what the guy was confused about, he got the car up there and said that they couldn't do anything with it, so I decided to vacate. He told me they don't work on cars with adjustable suspension? So I asked the next place I went by, which was a goodyear where my roommate got an alignment on his old car, I mentioned it to him because the discount tire said it, and he then told me the same thing.

I can't imagine why it would be a problem, like you guys said, but I figured if they were getting that confused I had better find a shop that knew what they were talking about.

EDIT: the goodyear guy was also telling me he couldn't use the stock alignment specs because it was lowered so he didn't want to mess with it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I think they are right. I've seen under my car and the only adjustable part is the tie rod ends which is toe. If u want camber u need to buy extra things like shims and ecentricts. Just ask them. I do alignments all day and there are easy and hard ones. Ours are pretty tough since the computer gives u the stock camber caster and toe adjustments
Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Actually I think they are right. I've seen under my car and the only adjustable part is the tie rod ends which is toe. If u want camber u need to buy extra things like shims and ecentricts. Just ask them. I do alignments all day and there are easy and hard ones. Ours are pretty tough since the computer gives u the stock camber caster and toe adjustments
The front end on F-body's do have camber adjustment, there's a slotted lca mount.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
The front end on F-body's do have camber adjustment, there's a slotted lca mount.
Didn't notice. I'll check again and if I do I'll deffinatly do my alignment
Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it need to be done as badly as, say, charging my A/C. But I want it done for peace of mind, brand new shocks, springs, wheels and tires, I don't want premature wear. I'm not looking for some pro shop, just one that will actually do the damn thing.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I don't think it need to be done as badly as, say, charging my A/C. But I want it done for peace of mind, brand new shocks, springs, wheels and tires, I don't want premature wear. I'm not looking for some pro shop, just one that will actually do the damn thing.
I know what your saying. If u were by LA I'll gladly do it.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know a guy in Ramona who is damn good at alignments, he does a lot of work on my dads truck which is lifted and we abuse it pretty good. Let me get the name of guy for you tomorrow so you can call him.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

at sears we do lowered/lifted cars all the time. the only time we cant align a car is if it needs special tools we dont have (european cars mostly), there is no adjustment in the computer, it needs vital parts replaced or if it is too long (some trucks)
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might check out sears, there is one right near me. I didn't know they did alignments.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 AM
10 Second Club

hmm anyone know a good "old school" alignment shop? Like a plumb bob kinda deal? I want to set up my alignment for the strip...

Quick Reply: Alignment for lowered car in socal?