Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Spill the beans about California!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Spill the beans about California!

What is the F-Body scene like? Stricter racing laws and limited modifications permitted?

Cost of living actually more if you make more in pay so it averages out?

Best areas to make money? Best area that's busy for an Auto Repair Shop?

Where are the good quality shops located?

Climate?

How political are the jobs there? Meaning, do people try to do anything to get one up over you no matter if they betray your friendship, etc??

This is not intended for anyone to advertise about a certain shop or anything, I just ask serious opinions on the area because I'm seriously considering moving there.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now why on earth would you leave Texas for one of the largest opponents of cars, guns, freedom, and economic prosperity? lol (it is nice to visit I'll give them that.)

Currently we are pulling a lot of jobs over from California. Pay is not significantly greater there, than here, but cost of living is. Office politics will exist anywhere you go, but if you are more conservative/libertarian, choose where you live wisely or you will often end up being bombarded by non-sense more often than not.

For a modified street car, I have heard it is much harder to pass inspection there. I'd never consider it partly because I know both my cars would be rejected.

The climate is nice and the street are always packed, if you don't sleep or enjoy being around people all the time, it's the place to be.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

What is the F-Body scene like?

There are f-body groups spread out throughout the counties.

Stricter racing laws and limited modifications permitted?

Right. Although, a lot of people have their hookups, or ways around certain things.

Can be true, depending on where you move.

Typically most people will make a little drive for quality work. A good area for a shop would probably be a place where there isn't a shop, so you can make a name for yourself.

Typically most are in the Inland Empire and LA counties. Can't think of one here locally in OC though... (hint)

Climate?

One of the main things people love so much about this state. Although the weather does get a bit out of wack occasionally...Some rain in the summer, and some hot days in the winter.

How political are the jobs there? Meaning, do people try to do anything to get one up over you no matter if they betray your friendship, etc??

Unfortunately, this is very common.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

What is the F-Body scene like? Stricter racing laws and limited modifications permitted?
If you want to mod and race your car, CA is the last place to move to. Even if you have "Hookups" you still run the risk of getting pulled over by CHP or a city cop and get sent to a state ref

Cost of living here is ridiculous unless you don't mind moving to the ghetto and near housing projects. Or if you plan to move to a nice area like south OC then your going to pay $1,500+ for an apartment.

OC and LA are the best areas to make money, But you got lots of competition when it comes to auto repair shop buisness in these counties. Oh and you better speak Spanish lol

There are many quality shops throughout SOCAL you just got to find them

Climate?
Climate is unpredictable. Last summer I never got to go to the beach because it never got hot enough. This year who knows, it's summer but its glummy and 66 Deg outside

Hell yeah, you got to watch your back no matter if it's work or just life in general out here. If you trip your going to get trampled haha.

And just like $750 L98 said
"Now why on earth would you leave Texas for one of the largest opponents of cars, guns, freedom, and economic prosperity? lol (it is nice to visit I'll give them that.)"

Unless you have deep pockets or your family has deep pockets it's a struggle here to make up top now a days. It seems that people that have property here are the people who purchased that property 20+ years ago when it was cheap and business was booming.

But if you want to give up your guns, freedom to mod your car, and follow the rules of a bunch of liberal, tree hugging, fart smelling hippies. Leave Texas and Welcome to California
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

I've been eye-balling Texas for quite some time now, I can deal with the heat and lack of ocean breeze, the liberals are turning this place to ****...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

and to add, the only decent drag strip is 1/8 mi....
Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IT_SS
I've been eye-balling Texas for quite some time now, I can deal with the heat and lack of ocean breeze, the liberals are turning this place to ****...
X2

I'm from TX, moved here on family reasons (wifes'), I don't like CA, except for the weather, cool peeps, meeting Chip Foose and close distance (driving) to Vegas. Rent here is 2X(at least) of whatever you're paying in TX, pay is not 2X of pay in TX and CA has state taxes.

Wish I had not made the move but I'm stuck here for a bit, can't wait to get out of CA, its only getting worse here.

Anyone here living in Vegas? Need some info please.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

I would move out of CA if it wasnt for my for my family, and I still might and if I do Texas is where I'll move to.

It's incredibly hard to run a business in CA taxes are insanely high, the laws are near communist the only good thing is the weather in SoCal
Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

I am not from there, but it seems like there's way too much in the news day after day about the crappy state of affairs California is in now. Unless I had a compelling job that was taking me there, I couldn't see moving there. I've got a couple of friends that sold their small homes, moved out here, bought bigger nicer homes in better areas and still had 6-figures left over...
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

i grew up in the san fernando valley. housing prices 400k+ for something not in the hood. Decent apt will cost about $1300+. I recently moved to central california, i like it 10x better, alittle bit slower pace, no traffic. You get the back east feel while still being in cali, and you can get a nice house for $200k. If you own your own business you can make good money, its not super corprate out here.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

I'm glad I'm in indiana.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
What is the F-Body scene like? F-body scene is good, but not as good as Texas. Stricter racing laws and limited modifications permitted? Yep. There are ways around both. Also, there is a lot of drama regarding "public" drag strips (aka TNT-friendly). We don't have very many in Southern California. We have two 1/8th miles in San Diego county, one 1/8th mile in Irwindale, one 1/4 mile in Fontana, and one 1/4 mile near Bakersfield.

Cost of living actually more (YES) if you make more in pay so it averages out? (hopefully)

Best areas to make money? Depends on your occupation. Best area that's busy for an Auto Repair Shop? Depends on your clientele.

CMS is in Temecula, CalSpeed(?) is in Bakersfield, Synergy is in NorCal. There may be more, but we really don't have a lot of "quality" LSx shops around here aside from the ones I've listed.

Climate?
SoCal? Awesome. Low to mild humidity, sunny year-round, with the worst weather being pea-sized hail and/or lightning/thunder in the winter.

Depends on the occupation.

This is not intended for anyone to advertise about a certain shop or anything, I just ask serious opinions on the area because I'm seriously considering moving there.
Which part of California?
Responses in red.

Oh, and
But if you want to give up your guns, freedom to mod your car, and follow the rules of a bunch of liberal, tree hugging, fart smelling hippies. Leave Texas and Welcome to California
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I was born in SoCal, I moved to georgia for a couple years, then moved back. Take it from me, first chance I get im out of here once i graduate college. maybe head back to Georgia
Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

If it wasn't for my son's mother I'd be out of here in a heartbeat. Don't come - you won't be happy.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by donedidit
I would move out of CA if it wasnt for my for my family, and I still might and if I do Texas is where I'll move to.

It's incredibly hard to run a business in CA taxes are insanely high, the laws are near communist the only good thing is the weather in SoCal
What percent do you get charged in Cal.?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont do it! I moved from CA (San Fernando Valley, just north of LA) to Fort Worth and wont go back unless I won the lotto. I was there last week to pick up my brother and make the drive this way (TX). He likes it here now but its just the humidity he needs to adjust to. Besides that I dont mind it, Ive been 2 1/2yrs and enjoy it. When I was in CA I noticed a lot is the nasty *** smog, overpopulated, and taxes went up to 9.75% or some BS like that, gas is a lot, people are rude out there. Its just a **** hole IMO. That state is going down the drain. As for shops there are TONS of them out there, better be the cheapest in price and do good work. IF you do decide to move out there good luck in your business. Its hard out there.

Last edited by $O$OE; 06-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Climate in my opinion is probably the best in the country. It's extremely mild, very predictable (someone mentioned that it wasn't and I couldn't disagree more). I live in Southern CA and being about 15-20 min from the Pacific Ocean at any given moment in incredible-and I don't surf or hardly go in the water-it's just gorgeous-I mean gorgeous!

Economy sucks. I've been trying to get a job as a cop everywhere around here and to say it extremely difficult is putting it nicely. Which also means that the overall job market really blows still.

Overpopulated yes, and the areas that are not are quickly becoming so.

Quality of schools for your kids (if you have any) is going down the drain nearly everywhere.

Emissions laws are a joke and very frustrating

I decided about a month ago that if I move anywhere out of California, that it would most likely be Texas. A lot of the freedoms you guys are able to enjoy are the exact ones I am really drawn to
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Do it!

I'm born and raised in LA and would NEVER live anywhere else....well, Maybe Austin, TX, lol. (too bad I can't have a TV career out there)

Modding cars is illegal, but still done. Jobs are easy or hard to find, but it depends on what you do. (i work in TV and it isn't too tough to find work, depending on what you do).

The climate blows away any other place i've been, but we do have some nice smog too, lol. Do you surf/SCUBA or like water sports? Want to learn them? LA's the place. Same with snow too. And if you want to SCUBA AND snowboard in the same day, guess where you need to be.

I live very comfortably in Burbank and its SSSOOO clean here. Yes its a bit more, but you get what you pay for out here. (own police, FD and school districts) It's a nice community "over the hill" from Hollywood, and it's still centrally located to everything, and we've got our won airport too. I have a $1500 apartment with a roommate and it's overall a GREAT city to live in. The houses i'm looking at are in the mid $300 range, and i'm sure are not nearly as spacious as other places (n terms of land dq. footage), but I love the ability to go anywhere and do anything I want in the city at anytime. It's like nothing closes in LA if you know where to look, and I like that ease of accessibility.

Taxes I'm sure are higher, but oh well, what can you do? And like everyone else says, office politics are everywhere.

Yes, traffic SUCKS!....and i mean REALLY sucks! I live in "the valley" and drive 11 miles to Beverly Hills every day and it takes about an hour each way. But, again, what can yo do? California people (in LA at least) overall are mellow folks. The out of staters are the ones who give us a bum rap. Did I mention traffic sucks? lol. One other thing you have to do in LA is drive everywhere.... the city is so pread out that a car is very necessary.

Yes there are tons of tree huggers and laws are tough, but like everything and every place else, there are always ways around it.

One thing for sure is that the car scene here is BAD-***!!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Let's see 10+ people hate it and 3 people love it. I think that's a no brainier lol.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IT_SS
and to add, the only decent drag strip is 1/8 mi....
Famoso isn't to shabby..
I live on the Central Coast. It is simply beautiful here. If you can score a job around here you will have it made. There is nothing though as far as performance shops. We are just a small city..you can look up cities on Wikipedia too, It gives you a lot of great info on population, racial makeup, surrounding communities...etc. I guess the only downfall is when I want to drag race, I am 180 miles from Famoso(Bakersfield)

Quick Reply: Spill the beans about California!