Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Elecric cutout + pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Elecric cutout + pass emissions

Hello everyone. I'm hoping to move to California around November. I do not have an electric cutout installed but I want to install it and be able to pass California emissions. Is this possible ?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it's after the cats it won't affect emissions at all. If before the cats, as it should be, close it and hope no one looks there while you're being tested.

IIRC it's "illegal" under VC §27151 to have a cutout, but I know plenty of people including me who run or have run one without any issues. Obviously just close it when you go for your test and you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

I have been tested 2x with the cut out open. The guy had a puzzled look when he ran the sniffer in my tailpipe. He wiggled the sniffer in the tailpipe a couple of times and then just passed my car. He never looked under the car to find out why the tailpipe was reading so clean.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get it... You can put an e-cutout ANYWHERE in your stock exhaust system and pass emissions. All you have to do is close it. lol
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Last time I went in for smog I asked the tech if he needed me to cap the cutout beforehand, and he told me as long as the sniffer read something I'd be alright. Then again, he also looked at my disconnected AIR system, said "Eh" and told me I passed lol
Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I don't get it... You can put an e-cutout ANYWHERE in your stock exhaust system and pass emissions. All you have to do is close it. lol
THIS.

Originally Posted by Ray455
Last time I went in for smog I asked the tech if he needed me to cap the cutout beforehand, and he told me as long as the sniffer read something I'd be alright. Then again, he also looked at my disconnected AIR system, said "Eh" and told me I passed lol
Lucky on the AIR system that the tech wasn't tripping about it. But yeah, if the machine reads "Sample Dilution" it basically means it's not getting enough exhaust to test.

The only thing you should have to worry about on the cutout is about the noise laws in the area. Most of the time you'll be able to get away with the cutout open, especially if you've only got Exhaust. I had LT's and No Cats with a cutout and never had any cop say that was too loud. With the cam on the other hand.... whole different story.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Elecric cutout + pass emissions