Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Octane booster for Hypertech in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Octane booster for Hypertech in CA?

Are there any Californians running a Hypertech tune in their car? My '99 Trans-Am is pretty close to stock, but I'd like to get as much of the (little) gain that I can from the Hypertech. Hypertech recommends the "RFG" (reformulated gas) setting for us Californians. But I hear that the "Non-RFG" setting can be worth one-tenth in the quarter-mile! Needless to say, I'd rather use that setting, but I'm worried that the California Premium gas won't be up to it, and I don't want to risk engine damage. I was wondering if anyone out there has a solution that wouldn't be too expensive.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

dont use that hypertach crap, there timing curve is all messed up, it will make you ping bad, i dads silverado even pinged on a hypertech tune.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, RyneZ06. I think my choice at the moment is Hypertech or nothing (don't want to pay for a tune until I can justify it - like after a cam change ).

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to justify that hypercrap is like trying to justify there's no oil! It's not worth the gains you get for the price it is. Just run 91, then run it at the track. You'll be fine

I had it in my Camaro for a while, ran good but it ran BETTER without it
Old 02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all do respect, who cares about a .1 drop in the 1/4 with a near-stock ride?

Maybe you should start a thread stating "I have $300 to spend, what should I do?".

Save the money from the Hypertech and apply it to something that will make a REAL difference.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
dont use that hypertach crap, there timing curve is all messed up, it will make you ping bad, i dads silverado even pinged on a hypertech tune.
Agreed. The Hypertech is worthless... previous owner had it installed on the car and all it did was ping like mad. Get rid of it and save up for a real tune... I'd reccomend some mods first though.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I've already got one, so I'm not spending money on it. And I need the tuning for the shift I've got in it - I'll likely set codes if I go back to stock tuning. I've never gotten any pinging on the "RFG" setting. And actually, I only got a bit of ping under load on a hot day when I tried "non-RFG".

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using this thing.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell it before you do any serious engine damage. It is well known that the hypertech power programmer has an extremely wild timing curve. My buddy hooked it up to his autotap and with it in the car registered 80+ issues of engine knock just driving 10 miles on the freeway. Go ahead and try to justify keeping it, but in the long run your are just killing your car.

P.S. I ran faster with it out of my car. Don't believe me, go to the track, and record runs w/ & w/o it on the same day.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Find some sucker on ebay and sell it. As much as you might wish it wasn't a piece of crap, hypertech being complete crap is a fact.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mix 100 octane with 91 octane, you'll get similar (if not better) results then HPP3. I would get at least 1 MPH from running 94 octane (mix of 100 and 91). Plus I can give you a much better trans tune for a hell of a lot less then $300. So you could sell that HPP3 for $300 and I can provide a better trans tune.

What mods do you have that you will be throwing codes? HPP3 makes cars run leaner from what I have seen.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow. There's sure a consensus of opinion on this one. I think I'll back out my Hypertech tune and see if I start setting trans. codes. I'm in the Ventura County (CA) area. Does anyone know a good place to get a tune?

Quick Reply: Octane booster for Hypertech in CA?