What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Price on 71 Chevelle??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price on 71 Chevelle??

Hey guys I'm interested in figuring out what a vehicle like this would sell for in today’s market. I know the vehicle personally, while the appraiser calls it a 20 footer, I'd say its better than a 10 footer by most peoples standards keep in mind its "perfect at 20'" as he says. No rust, no accidents, no bodywork.

This is a write up from the appraiser:

Artesia Street Rod Promotions (July 2008)

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle "Malibu 350" 2 door hardtop

This 1971 Malibu 350 is an original California Manufactured vehicle and has been licensed in CA its entire life.

The body is stock and original in appearance however it has been repainted using acrylic enamel. The car is now painted a shade darker then the factory 1971 medium olive green poly and it is showing some normal wear/tear & imperfections. The glass is original and in useable condition. The chrome trim, ornamentation and bumpers are likewise showing some normal wear & tear for a vehicle that is over 35 years old. The avocado green vinyl top shows some signs of the original adhesive reverting across the deck lid area but is otherwise in good condition.

The drive-train, suspension, front disc/rear drum brake system and chassis are all original factory with normal maintenance items being updated as needed.

The small block 350cu. In. engine has been completely rebuilt by Smedding Performance of Rancho Cordova, CA using a high performance Jenkins stroker kit, World Performance cylinder heads, Edelbrock performer camshaft, HEI ignition w/ Taylor wires, Edelbrock Performer aluminum single plane manifold and 800cfm holley spread-bore carb. The rebuilt engine is now 383cu. In. & rated at 430hp. The exhaust system utilizes a set of Sanderson tubular headers, 2.5” exhaust tubing and flowmaster dual chamber mufflers.

The automatic transmission is a rebuilt GM Turbo 350 with the latest factory updates performed by J&C automotive in Placerville, CA.
At the time of appraisal, owner receipts showed less than 5000 miles of use on the engine and transmission. The original factory rally wheels are intact and they have a full set of Yokahama radials on them. A non-factory space saver spare has been mounted in the trunk area to give more room. The trunk has been rematted and an additional storage area has been installed. Other than an aftermarket Panasonic AM/FM cassette player & speakers being installed, the interior is original and again showing some normal wear and tear. The seats, door panels & kick panels, and headliner are Corinthian green vinyl with matching cloth inserts. The carpet is black.

This particular vehicle runs and performs safely and very well. All the factory options i.e.: A/C, PS, PB (disc front) are functional.

In determining the current “fair market value” of this 1971 Chevelle Malibu 350 after a thorough inspection, I used the Old Cars Pricing Guide criteria to establish its rating. Based on this vehicle & the Price Guide Criteria I would rate this vehicle as a #3! This vehicle is a good 20’ car. As per the rating this means that from 20’ the vehicle looks perfect, however as one gets closer some imperfections and normal wear & tear can be seen. The Pricing Guide states that most “hobby” cars fall in this category. Based on this rating and facts presented to me showing the engine & transmission recent rebuilds and performance upgrades I would establish the “Fair Market Value” at between $12,000 and $12,750.

With very little time and expense this vehicle could easily be rated higher & if done it will increase in value.

Butch Gardner, owner Artesia Street Club Rod Promotions.

(He’s been a professional show car judge and director of several California based “autorama” shows. Current radio host of AM 950 KAHI radio’s “cruising garage”)

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a fair price on that car. But the olive green is an ugly color though.

Quick Reply: Price on 71 Chevelle??