What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Getting a WS6: Your thoughts on the deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude seems way shady.be patient and you'll find what you want.hell i had 2 have my 30th ann. ws6 #0093 shipped from Florida to San Francisco.it took FOREVER but it was worth the wait.his urgency to sell it is a complete red light.no one buys line lock without the intention of doing long smoky burnouts.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
dude seems way shady.be patient and you'll find what you want.hell i had 2 have my 30th ann. ws6 #0093 shipped from Florida to San Francisco.it took FOREVER but it was worth the wait.his urgency to sell it is a complete red light.no one buys line lock without the intention of doing long smoky burnouts.
How much did that cost you to ship it if you dont mind me asking?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're trying to sell a v6 firebird for $8K?

Depending on milage and condition, I'd prob. expect around $4000-4500. Thats a more realistic number to count on.

Good luck in the search though.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Teching In

My car KBBS/NADA for over 7k with the cam and thousand other mods its worth 8k.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawknwv
Yes, it may be worth that but it will take a miracle to sell it at that price. Worth and reality are not similar. My 21k miles vert is worth $20,000+ to me ( near MINT, rare color combo, etc..) but I couldn't sell it for close to that. Reality.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
You're trying to sell a v6 firebird for $8K?

Depending on milage and condition, I'd prob. expect around $4000-4500. Thats a more realistic number to count on.

Good luck in the search though.
x2...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBB is worthless for private-party selling, and mods (unless they're major on a big-power car) never increase the selling price, especially if they're on a V6 car with a common V8 option.

$5k would be generous for a V6 'bird. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Teching In

I know those sites dont account for mods. They only account for stock cars with options, mileage, and condition. The car stock with 81k miles books for over 7. So with what Ive done to it Im just asking a few hundred more. The ones whos been interested havent argued the price on it either. A 00 model v6 just sold at a local lot here for over 7k so it can be done.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know those sites dont account for mods. They only account for stock cars with options, mileage, and condition. The car stock with 81k miles books for over 7. So with what Ive done to it Im just asking a few hundred more. The ones whos been interested havent argued the price on it either. A 00 model v6 just sold at a local lot here for over 7k so it can be done.
I'm not trying to knock your car or anything... But I can almost guarantee it will not sell for that much. Buy a lottery ticket if it does, because you'll be one lucky SOB.

I'm just trying to give realistic advise. The mods you listed will not increase the price, especially to that extent. Look at the going rate for them at private party on EBAY, AUTO TRADER, or CARS.com. You are not a dealer and dont offer a warrenty and cant get people financed. Dealerships can, and unless that other v6 car had under 40K miles, they were taken too...

Why is someone going to buy a V6 for the price of a V8? I had 2 V6 Camaros. One was basically like new. rebuilt engine, new clutch, new transmission, rebuilt rear end, nice radio setup, new paint job... All within a year of me selling it. I got $3800 for it. Had 98K miles and was a 5 speed.

If you can sell it at that price, more power to you. Just dont be suprised if it doesnt.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

NADA value on your firebird is $4800 btw..
Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
NADA value on your firebird is $4800 btw..
actually Clean retail on my car via NADA is 5875 + 1,025 for mileage +100 for power seat + 300 for ttop = 7,300 total price I just went and checked agin for myself. Clean trade in is 5175
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually Clean retail on my car via NADA is 5875 + 1,025 for mileage +100 for power seat + 300 for ttop = 7,300 total price I just went and checked agin for myself. Clean trade in is 5175
You're forgetting one thing... You are not a dealer!!! Go by clean trade in on NADA. Thats private party..

I'm out of this thread. If you think you can get $8K for your car.. More power to you. I'm just trying to give you a realistic number on what to expect. Nobody in their right mind is going to spend $8K on a V6 f-body when they could get a Z28/Formula for that same price with similar miles, and even mods for that sake and run laps around it.

GLWS.

Last edited by Camaro_94; 09-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

If i recall it was a little under 2 grand. It was about 2 years ago so i might be a little off.2 grand 2 register.that sucked.oh yeah and be careful who ships your car,once the bastards scraped 1 of my rims and then I was told they are not responsible because the rims are not part of the car.WTF.TOTAL BS.It was D.A.S. DEPENDABLE AUTO SHIPPING .STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

KBB, private party retail in Excellent condition = 6220
Im not being an ars towards you man. Im jsut stating what each site says the car is good for. I know mods dont bring price up and I know Im not a dealer. I can still try to sell teh car for a price a see fit. If someone buys it for that then they do if they dont then they dont. Im still getting a LS1 car regardless.

Yea man that is messed up that thay didnt repalce the wheel. I would have been really PO'd about that as well. I talked to a compnay the other day that a car transported 200 miles away from me was like 350 or something like that.

Last edited by Firehawknwv; 09-23-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Firebirds will always carry a premium and will be easier to sell than a v6. Camaro. Most common buyers do not care that the car has a v8 and prefer the milage of the v6 and cheaper costs associated. Dont hate on the guys car or knock his sale. Your own car would be worth more if it was a bird.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, to save you time and prevent you from missing a sale now that you'd take in a heart beat 4 months from now when you figure out how automobile pricing works, I'm going to post the below. Please note that I hold a wholesaler's license and sold cars professionally for over 5 years.

1. Your car and all of the 4th gens are damn near 10 years old or older which makes ALL of the internet pricing sites invalid.

2. Any value tool that you're using that is quoting retail DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. That applies to a dealership. Why you ask is a dealer's car worth more than mine? 3 things:
- A dealerhsip offers financing. People are dumb and don't realize they can
get financing on their own and then buy whatever car they want.
- A dealership will accept a trade in? Will you? People are lazy/dumb and can't sell their own cars
- A dealer has a business to support and can't get away with the same stuff as a private sale. They have to invest somewhat into the cars to get them to a certain level. Buyers know this and this is why they won't pay you anywhere near what they will a dealership

3. MODS DO NOT AD VALUE TO A CAR. Especially the mods you've done to a V6 which is not a performance car that people seek out with mods. Some lady will buy it as she thinks its cute and doesn't want the gas guzzling loud V8, or daddy will buy it for little Suzy or Johnny as he wants them to have a cool car but one that's reliable and cheap on insurance. A bunch of mods is not on these people's list of things they want in their cheap V6 f-body.

4. If you can buy same year, same miles Z28 for 8000, sorry to say you're V6 is worth about 1/2 that. Its the nature of the market. If both cars were side by side and same price which one would you rather buy? Of course the Z28, same goes for everyone else.

To sell your car for the maximum dollar, REMOVE ALL OF THE MODS and take it back to 100% stock. clean it up and start around $5500 if you have less than 80k miles. If you have over 100K miles start around $4500.

If you leave it as it with a cam and the other crap on it, you might as well ask $3000 now as thats what you'll take for it in the middle of winter. Good luck

PS, to the poster above, excluding the WS6 Trans Am, 82-02 Camaros consistantly sell faster and for more money than a like Firebird. Only need to look at craigslist to see this fact.

Last edited by 69camaross; 10-06-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

For what its worth" ive yet to see a half decent car at a `dealer` the difference is if something is totally shot like brakes or tires and theyll either get used tires; a $20 set of pads and clean it. Private party people rarely clean their ****. To say his car is worth 3k is insulting and sounds like the typical dealer trade BS...where you drive that right to the front of the lot and convince yourself and others its worth 6k. Realistically that car is worth 5500-5800 but wait for the right buyer and they will come. That is the beauty of private sale as you don't have to run a business off of the sale. Dealers will sell the car faster because of the finance option and the fact people are idiots. You've been in the business because you are able to sell a lesser car for more $ solely based onallowing people to buy without 100% up front.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

I would also wager there are 2 camaros for 1 firebird for sale....as apparently we have different craigslists. That and the fact they likely sold in that order being cheaper. When there is more of one car on the market; I'd think the dominant would be top seller....
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RSbeast
For what its worth" ive yet to see a half decent car at a `dealer` the difference is if something is totally shot like brakes or tires and theyll either get used tires; a $20 set of pads and clean it. Private party people rarely clean their ****. To say his car is worth 3k is insulting and sounds like the typical dealer trade BS...where you drive that right to the front of the lot and convince yourself and others its worth 6k. Realistically that car is worth 5500-5800 but wait for the right buyer and they will come. That is the beauty of private sale as you don't have to run a business off of the sale. Dealers will sell the car faster because of the finance option and the fact people are idiots. You've been in the business because you are able to sell a lesser car for more $ solely based onallowing people to buy without 100% up front.
I'm not insulting him, I stating the obvious. Let me describe his car based on simlarly modifed V6 birds that you typically see.

1. over 100k miles
2. some of the stuff in the interior plastic is probably broken. On a V8 this is excusable, on a V6 it is not as they have different buyers.
3. Maybe some stickers, windshield banner, stripes, tail light black outs that all scream that someone young owned this car and ran the **** out of it even if this isn't the case. Remember buyers will stereotype
4. Probably a loud flowmaster exhaust or something else that will detract the largest percentage of your V6 buyers, women. And probably has some huge tips out the back.

I'm trying to help this guy as he is obviously super lost and a rookie when it comes to private party sales based on his understanding of the business described above.

OP, as I said above, take the car back to 100% stock, clean it up showroom new and slap $5000 price tag on it and be ready to take $4500. It's already the October, you literally have till Halloween to sell this car. After that you might as well wait until March 2011.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Yeah definitely agree, you have to account for the used car market. Who wants a cammed v6?? that tells those potential purchasers(females and posers) that the motor has been cracked open and there goes reliability. People typically buy the V6 for affordability. Now if you car is the same price or more than a V8, guess what These guys aren't raggin on you just to rag. They are givin you an unbiased opinion. Which is why you posted this right?? Well either way it goes good luck with the sale.

Quick Reply: Getting a WS6: Your thoughts on the deal