What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

To keep the TA or to Sell

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To keep the TA or to Sell

Hey guys,

Kind of got myself thinking and I am being indecisive. I have pretty much always had a Trans Am since I was about 15. I currently have had my 98 since May of 04. Been a great car. I had recently picked up a RX8 just to play with one. Besides it being a weak car it was still fun to drive. I no longer have the RX tho. I am trying to decide if I want to bump the TA back up to daily driver status or possibly sell or trade it. If I did sell it how much are they really selling for. I know what KBB says but that always seems a little different than what i have seen.

98 Trans Am
NON Ws6, Suncoast Creations Ram Air Hood
Staggered 18in wheels
Engine is Stock
165k miles
TTop
Auto with the 3.23 real axle from factory
Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming it's still in persentable condition and holds a clean title, I say a reasonable price for an LS1 bird is anywhere from $7,000-$10,000 (from what I've seen). The lower prices are more oriented with higher mileage and vice versa. Obviously with any damage comes a depreciation in price. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

You didn't mention the condition which is quite important, but very few will pay you decent $$ for a car with that kind of mileage, even if the car is really nice. If you could get $6,000 I would say that is doing quite well. If you still like the car enough to use it as a DD, keep it until it dies.
One other note, since you have owned the car for 7+ years, there will be a big VOID if you do sell it, unless you are replacing it with another F-body or a drastically better car. Again, what is your T/A's condition? If it is shot, you may not miss it at all. I can't imagine being without one though. These F-bodies are special and 'addictive' cars when they are kept nice and well-maintained. I've been an F-body owner since July '96 when I bought my new Formula. Only sold it to get my '01 T/A 'vert. 15+ years of ownership and going strong.
Good luck whichever direction you choose to go.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah totally forgot to put that in there. The car has almost all highway miles, I drove it to and from work on 75 for years. The body is in great shape, clear is coming off on the hood. Rest of the body is pretty much perfect. Inside there are no rips or tears in leather, back seats are perfect. Both window motors work. Top dash pad is cracked but nothing new there with fbody cars. AC has a leak but whenever i fill it it blows ice cold for months. This isn't my first Fbody, always had one myself. I took it out last night after I posted that and I am thinking if I get it painted and get the AC working it wouldn't be a bad DD again.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Damageinc84
Yeah totally forgot to put that in there. The car has almost all highway miles, I drove it to and from work on 75 for years. The body is in great shape, clear is coming off on the hood. Rest of the body is pretty much perfect. Inside there are no rips or tears in leather, back seats are perfect. Both window motors work. Top dash pad is cracked but nothing new there with fbody cars. AC has a leak but whenever i fill it it blows ice cold for months. This isn't my first Fbody, always had one myself. I took it out last night after I posted that and I am thinking if I get it painted and get the AC working it wouldn't be a bad DD again.
Sounds like the way to go. Highway miles are nothing. Knowing the history of your own car is such a plus as well. Unless you buy a new 2012 car or a used one with full maintenance records, you just dont know what has been done.

Quick Reply: To keep the TA or to Sell