What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Typical value of convertible z28?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical value of convertible z28?

so i have the chance to pick up a 99 z28 convertible for 4k with 160k miles. the overall condition is pretty good. i dont really trust KBB and NADA when it comes to Fbody cars. the values seem to be off. what is the typical going value of one of these cars?

Last edited by xxtremes33; 09-20-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Book values aren't usually that far off unless it is a special car, such as a collector's edition or it has super low mileage. $4000 is right around book value on that, but the information you provided is too vague to put a real world value on. How many owners? Auto or manual? Clean title? What does it need? What has been done to it? Any maintenance history? Personally, I would not even touch that car with that many miles especially when there are sub 100k cars available right now for a couple thousand more.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

not sure how many owners previously. its a 6 speed with clean title. the only thing i really see wrong with it is that the rear window fell out.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

book values are good for most cars. but do not seem accurate for fbodys and cars like 3rd gen fd rx7s, supras, etc.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

You don't have to trust 'book values', and I agree that they are not the 'bibles' of all actual car sales, but they are indicators of what prices can be and what many buyers/ sellers use to make somewhat intelligent decisions. You just can't ignore them.
As far as that Z28 'vert I wouldn't even consider it for $4,000 because of all the $$$ that will be needed in the future. Convertibles are even worse than regular rides because of all the 'top' issues. With this one already having 'issues' you really need to tread carefully. Convertible repair shops are not cheap and finding good ones is not an easy task either. Doing it yourself is extremely difficult no matter what you read about on the internet. Just think of all the potential pitfalls of a 160k miles car, and now throw the 'top' problems on top of that. If the rear window is out already I bet the threads on the rest of the top are shot too. That means a new top will be needed unless you like ratty repairs and leaks. How much life is left on that top motor, or the switch? How are the seals, especially around the top of the windshield? This 'vert has seen it's best days, and to sink thousands into it is just unwise. If you want a decent 'vert, they exist, but at prices much higher. You definitely get what you pay for with ragtops. Trust me, been there done that with numerous convertibles over the past 40 years, from Fiats to BMW's to Porsches. Actually the best quality convertibles I have ever owned are the two American 'verts I own right now but they were new (the GT had 3,000 miles, but same thing) when purchased and I maintain them religiously.
I don't want to discourage you, and I apologize if I ruined your day, but just passing on info that may save you same heartache ,and especially $$$.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

naw its good advise. i decided against the vert. i already own a vert rx7 and know the pitfalls of verts. i have a 01 z28 hardtop anyways.

Quick Reply: Typical value of convertible z28?