What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

98 Z28 A4 274k for $3k

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 A4 274k for $3k

Is this a good deal for this high of mileage? How much do you think you would need to put into a car like this for a rebuild or new engine? Would it be worth it?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Yeah, that is just too much mileage. It isn't just the drivetrain but every single component of the car. How much use or abuse can these assorted parts take? Everything must be on the verge of breaking or failing even if the miles were rather easy.
Personally I wouldn't pay anything for a car like this just due to the stress on everything. Every single part would make me wonder and ask, "how much life can be left in this?"
Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

$3000 is too much for that amount of miles. However dont let the mileage scare you from buying it if the price is right. Too many people are scared on high mileage cars on this site.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
$3000 is too much for that amount of miles. However dont let the mileage scare you from buying it if the price is right. Too many people are scared on high mileage cars on this site.
...and rightfully so. I wouldn't recommend a crazy high miles car to a friend or relative, and therefore the same applies to fellow F-body owners here. The advice is sound.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
...and rightfully so. I wouldn't recommend a crazy high miles car to a friend or relative, and therefore the same applies to fellow F-body owners here.
I would, If they got it for a steal of a deal. Not everybody wants a Fbody as a garage queen or as a daily driver. No I wouldn't recommend a 300K mileage car as a daily driver or a "collector car" But If a person wanted a Fbody to mod the sh*t out of, I'd tell them find a high mileage car and get it dirt cheap and have fun modding it. Obviously alot of components will need replaced but thats Ok if you get it super cheap.

I know where you stand on high mileage cars and modded cars. We will never agree. I think its important to find out what the person intends to do with the car before telling them to stay away from it.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For around that price, you can buy an F body with HALF that mileage. Buying a car like that and putting any money into it is a lot like wiping your butt before you poo: it just don't make sense.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the advice is pretty sound. I've been window shopping and I've found a few more nice prospects actually. Found a really nice 2001 SS convertible with 85k for 6 grand, figure that might be a much nicer deal.

I also found an interesting find that I might make a new post for, but it seems like a hell of a deal. It's an 05 saleen mustang "clone". Has all the appearance mods to make it look like a real saleen, saleen seats, and it also has an engine from a wrecked saleen and other saleen parts. The seller has the specs listed as this:

I have for sale my 05 Mustang GT Premium Saleen Clone, with 42,xxx miles, automatic transmisson, and it has a custom built motor (specs Below)

All Saleen part are authentic bought new from AMP Performance(almost $5k)
The Saleen seat were bought out of a wreck for $2K
Some of the part I can think of are right now are listed below
TCI 3000 stall
Spydershaft driveshaft
3:73 Ford Motorsport gears
GT 500 TB
Saleen UD pulleys
39 LB injectors
BMR Lightweight Radiator Support w/swaybar mount
Kooks headers and off road x-pipe.

The motor is the one Jim lll had his yellow Saleen and I bought it from him and it's the real deal. here is what he told me about the motor.

New 05+ Alum block
Kellogg steel forged stroker crank
Manley H beam rods
Manley Forged aluminum pistons 11:1 compression
Federal moguel bearings
Gas nitrate coated rings
ARP 3v main studs
ARP 3v head studs
New GT500 oil pump
New timing components and camphasers
3V Cylinder heads CNC ported
Manley 1mm oversize valves
Comp 120# springs
Manley retainers
New Daewoo seals
Comp XFI SPR stage 3 NA cams .547/.560 lift
Comp cams phaser limiters

And this engine has made over 390 RWHP via my automatic transmission. The car has run 11.15@119 mph. Showing this motor is a very strong combination for NA.

Seems like a hell of a deal for all those extras. I'd jump on it but that much for me right now is right on the border of what I can really afford, haha

Quick Reply: 98 Z28 A4 274k for $3k