What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Firebird Formula 46kmiles

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Firebird Formula 46kmiles

Looking at a stock 1-owner 2002 Firebird Formula T-top with 46k miles, dealer wants 10.5k out the door. The car is pretty much spotless, ignoring the normal wear underneath and on the stock exhaust..............I test drove it today, everything seems alright aside from a slight vibration in the wheel at higher speeds and braking. I thought this might be caused by the significant amount of surface rust that had accumulated on the rotors, but I'm no car expert in the least so if anyone has a better idea it would be immensely helpful.

Basically I'm at my max dollar here and really don't want to end up having to settle for a boring Corolla etc..... This is going to be my DD to work during the spring/summer/fall and it needs to be reliable for weekly long highway trips averaging about 4-500 miles.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good price, especially coming from a dealer. Have you seen the Carfax to verify it is truly a one-owner car with no accidents? As far as the vibration at higher speeds, I would start with having the tires checked and possibly re-balanced. I am assuming the tires have been replaced at this point but with only 46k on it, there is a chance that they have not been. If that is the case, they will all need to be replaced before you start putting 500 miles a week on it. The vibration during braking could simply be because the car has sat for a bit. Go back and test drive it again and apply the brake hard several times from around 60 mph, but do not brake hard enough to activate the ABS. If that doesn't help, you might have to have the rotors machined down or replaced, and possibly replace the brake pads. Or, tell the dealer in order for you to close the deal, you want those issues addressed. Let us know how it turns out and good luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Heavens no, don't settle for a stinkin' Toyota if you can get this one owner low mileage Formula. Even if the dealer won't work with you any further, ****** this car up for $10,500 'out the door'. If you have to pay $1,000 or so for brake and rotor work it will be something you don't have to worry about again in the future. Same with new tires and balancing. Just make sure the Carfax backs up the dealer claims of one owner, and verify that mileage. If it all checks out, enjoy your new ride That Formula will be good for years and years of driving pleasure with just normal maintenance.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Teching In

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_U

http://www.stoneroadauto.com/detail....fID=4529&.aspx

There's a link to both the vehicle and carfax.........hopefully the wife will be okay with it, the veritable lack of a back seat is definitely going to be a point of contention. But if this is a really good deal I'm not going to let it slip by.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

The only thing that bothers me personally is the brake issue. It appears the original owner had it checked several times and perhaps it was an issue right from the showroom floor. That is possibly the vibration problem you experienced. I know it seems strange but I knew a couple that were in my car club that could not resolve a brake issue in their T/A and they had to sell their car. You would think that any brake problem could be fixed. I certainly thought so but now this car makes me wonder a bit. I don't mean to be negative but check it out thoroughly. With the dealer asking $10,000 I imagine you can do even better than $10,500 'out the door'. The dealer bought the Formula at auction which means he has 'thousands' to play with.
Thank you for sharing the Carfax. Smart move. I hope it all works out. Good luck!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Alright, I'll definitely have to find a mechanic in the area. As for the price, I'm not the best at negotiating with car dealers lol.......He seemed pretty firm on his price as prices were apparently just lowered on everything to empty the lot (it really is completely full). He didn't even ask for my contact info, after I gave him the offer.

Anyway, gonna talk with the wife about it some more, but I head to the police academy on sunday so hopefully I can find someway to wrap this up quickly.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really a nice car for the money, especially with a solid maintenance history. You won't get much better than that. Voice your concern about the vibration to the dealer. See what they are willing to do for you.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vahlen
Alright, I'll definitely have to find a mechanic in the area. As for the price, I'm not the best at negotiating with car dealers lol.......He seemed pretty firm on his price as prices were apparently just lowered on everything to empty the lot (it really is completely full). He didn't even ask for my contact info, after I gave him the offer.

Anyway, gonna talk with the wife about it some more, but I head to the police academy on sunday so hopefully I can find someway to wrap this up quickly.
I wish you the best in your career. While you are just starting I'm on the other side of the police career. After 25 years serving the fine folks in FL, I am living off my pension now in the sticks of NC.
By the way I bought my first Formula in 1996 new off the showroom floor. A blue-green chameleon (see below). Had it for 9 years until I bought my T/A. Everyone on my squad loved it. You'll love it too. If this one doesn't work out, another one will.
Attachment 422088

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a great price, I see dealers asking $14-17K for the same year and mileage cars!

Quick Reply: 2002 Firebird Formula 46kmiles