What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

A reminder about higher miles & Rarity or Anniv

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Default A reminder about higher miles & Rarity or Anniv

I am posting this as a simple reminder. If you have a rare or anniversary car with high miles, don't save it for a rainy day. Drive it and enjoy it.
Higher mileage cars negate and trump the value of both rarity or anniversary cars in most instances. I know it's disappointing but once you drive them a lot, the value heads south. Unless you can keep the car under 20,000 miles or perhaps even 30,000 miles the 'collectors' start looking the other way. After 50,000 miles, you can just about forget it! I've had posters tell me their 100k miles cars will be worth something due to rarity or anniversary edition status.. As much as I'd love that to be true, it just isn't reality. I watch auction results regularly and this is the latest casualty. I really thought it would bring more $$ but $7,500 (plus BP) was the top bid for this anniversary car today at Mecum. While it is certainly more than your typical LT1 car, not much. That's just 'used car' money for a pretty sweet ride. Looks rather 'stock' except for the Interstate battery.
http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?...=WA0614-185155
Old 06-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Trans am will be worth more than a formula, a WS6 will be worth more than trans am, Firehawk will be worth more than a WS6. and on and on...... In the same condition with the same miles of course. Higher milage cars that are rare will always carry a premium over lesser models in same condition/miles... unless we are talking about total junkers.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhess504
A Trans am will be worth more than a formula, a WS6 will be worth more than trans am, Firehawk will be worth more than a WS6. and on and on...... In the same condition with the same miles of course. Higher milage cars that are rare will always carry a premium over lesser models in same condition/miles... unless we are talking about total junkers.
Not once they hit 80-100K in miles, then its just another car...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhess504
Agree on the Firehawk and WS6, but I bet a Formula will go for the same, if not more, and much quicker than a similar Trans Am...at least on here.

More people like the Trans Am more, but they made a lot more of them too. When a nice formula pops up for sale around here, it usually doesn't last long and goes for a fair price.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NC01TA,

This person wants 12k for their '97 SS vert with 95k. Think they'll get it?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4543907902.html

From their CL ad:

"1997 Camaro 30th Anniversary, 1 of 957 anniversary SS white with orange stripes, 1 of 251 convertibles, 1 0f 136 T56 6spds. the car has 95,000 miles the engine has 20,000 miles, white leather, need tires and some interior work, this is a Rare car. I`ve never seen another one like it outside the internet, have all paperwork build sheet and window sticker $12,000 OBO"
Attached Thumbnails A reminder about higher miles & Rarity or Anniv-97ss.jpg   A reminder about higher miles & Rarity or Anniv-97ss1.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

No, not close unless he finds a novice. Not even the seller expects $12,000 as he has OBO. He was probably looking at this price guide but it is just 'wishful thinking' with the work needed on his car. He was probably excited to see the red line on the graph. http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=231634

This is real world pricing. $7,500 plus the BP (buyer's premium) making it about an $8,000 purchase. http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?...=DA0913-164457

Quick Reply: A reminder about higher miles & Rarity or Anniv