What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2002 Camaro SS

There is a white Camaro SS for sale in my area. He was originally asking $15,000. I shot him an offer of $13,000 and he declined. He then changed his asking price to $18,000 and has slowly worked his asking price down to $16,000.

I offered him $14,000. He stated he wanted to wait a month or so at $16,000 and see if he gets a few bites. He said after a month or so at $16,000 he asked if I could settle around the $15,000 mark.

I am feeling like $14,000 firm is decently fair. I would think no more than $14,500. What do y'all think?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4601196793.html

Thank you for your input.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your price of $14's seems reasonable. The car has probably lost some value on the modifications. An unmodified, mint 1 owner car with 20K miles is probably around $15K to $16K. There's a mint 1 owner 2800 mile 2002 with CME that just bid up to $17,500 on Ebay (reserve not met). That car is easily worth $2.5K or even $3.5K more than this one. The car season is winding down. The seller's car will be tougher to sell as winter approaches. And I don't buy the story that "professional mechanics" maintain their cars any better than the usual car enthusiast. I would suspect those guys do beat on their cars more then the general public....esp. cars with 430 hp.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you very much for the input. I agree with what you said. I just wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark with 14k. He is remaining firm with 15, but stated he would sell it to me for 14k in a month or so if there hasn't been any additional interest.

My thought process was thinking the vehicle might be well maintained, weekend driver, with mods similar to what I would want to do eventually. I ideally want a H/C/I car in great condition. I figured this might be it, minus the white not being my favorite color. I could still manage the color depending on the condition.

I haven't seen the vehicle in person, but I won't see it until he agrees to 14k.

Once again, thank you for the input. Let me know if you have additional input.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The car could be worth up to $15K if there was more information available (last fluid changes, original documents, full owner history, etc.). They seem to be sure the car has never been raced, abused, etc. so it implies they are the orig owners. That would be a plus. New tires are a plus assuming they put a quality brand on the car.

White is not a bad color. It's not as often seen as black and red, and hides the hood and front end stone chips much better than any other color. I would also think that it repels the sun's heat and rays better than the darker colors which could delay the onset of clear coat peeling over time....assuming the same storage conditions. Hopefully, the owner has kept the car garaged most of the time. One photo shows a bra on the front end that could have prevented them. Sometimes the bra itself causes rashes in the paint if applied incorrectly or left on all the time.

With the 430 hp did they upgrade other parts of the drive train to handle the extra 100 hp? (clutch, trans, rear differential). Seems odd that the engine photo shows the stock/silenced air intake on the car. Why would you add 100 hp elsewhere and leave that restrictive intake on the car?

Last edited by Firebrian; 09-02-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS