What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Ws6 near me

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ws6 near me

Hey I just saw this Craigslist ad that's near me and was wondering if you guys thought this was a good price? He says he is negotiable and I don't wanna spend more than $13,000. You think that would be a fair offer?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/6060473229.html

I know the value of the car is gonna depend a lot on what he says when I go see it (accidents, paint, how it drives ect.) I have never looked at a car with so many modifications. Only one with just headers and it was way way too loud for me. What would be some good questions I could ask him about his internal engine mods? I have very very uneducated in this area so please dumb it down for me.

Also i am unsure how to know if a modified engine is running correctly. Anything I should do while driving it to get a feel for the car? Any way to tell if it's knocking or something like that?. Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It's hard to nail down a universal value for a car with a bunch of modifications; if you happen to like/want everything that's done, then it might be worth a considerable premium since you're saving yourself the cost of retail purchase and labor or install hassles. But if you don't want the modifications, or want items that are different than the current build, then you might not be willing to pay much at all in the way of a premium (though if you take the parts off, they are usually worth something on the used market - if you have the time and stomach to deal with selling them.)

The pictures aren't great, but the car doesn't seem to be in bad shape at all. Would be nice to see some interior photos though. The plates are a relatively recent series for IL, so the current owner is likely not the original owner and probably hasn't had the car for very many years. You could ask where the modifications were done, he mentioned they were done by him but doesn't specify if he did the labor himself or if he took it to a local LS shop such as Speed Inc, FLP, etc. Most of those parts are pretty common and good quality choices, so as long as the install work was done properly then I think it should drive well and be as reliable as any modified car can be.

If you're not familiar with more heavily modified vehicles, then you might be more sensitive to tuning related quirks than someone who would already be expecting such from a setup like this. That's probably a good thing - meaning, if nothing stands out as odd to you during the driving experience, then it's probably well tuned. The exhaust note will be choppy at idle with a cam like that, even if well tuned, but there shouldn't be any significant idle surging, bucking or other major driveability issues if an experienced tuner did the tuning.

As the car is modified and currently equipped with sticky tires, it's possible that rear end or transmission related issues could be present due to aggressive usage. Those would probably be my biggest areas of concern, since they are already common weak points for a 6-speed car.

If you looked at one with just headers and it was too loud for you, then this one will likely be worse. The ad mentions headers with no cats and a Borla catback; that, combined with the specified MS3 cam, is going to be a loud setup (unless he's using the closed plate on an adjustable Borla system - but even still it's going to be much louder than anything stock or stockish.)

I'm not personally a fan of the chin spoiler or the black wheels, so those would be dings against it if I was the one shopping. But, again, that can be changed and perhaps even sold to recoup some cost if you don't like them. The mileage is low and the trim level, color and trans type are all desirable.

I imagine he's looking for more than $13k, and he could probably get a little more from a buyer who wants those sort of modifications. However, there is always the increased gamble of reliability when it comes to buying something with significant modifications, so if you don't really want that stuff then your money would be better spent on a stock example.

Quick Reply: Ws6 near me