Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

removing stripped screw in wheel studs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing stripped screw in wheel studs.

how's it done? it unscrews to the point of the stripped part, but I DO NOT want to strip the axles removing them...what are my options?

I let a "friend" put the lugs on the back while I did the front and he cross threaded 2 on the driver side, and 1 on the passenger.

ordered new ARP studs, and Mcguard lugs.

Chad
Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Are they factory studs? If so, just loosen them until they do not turn any more and then put a big breaker bar on them and crank them to bust them off. Replace them once you get the wheel off.

Other than that, you may have to use a nut splitter tool to crack the lug nut open and get it off the stud.

I prefer busting them, it is quick and the stud is ruined anyways.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck. you could always cut the end off then shve the ends so they dont bite but it will take a few. i ended up screwing up the threads in mine when i tried to pull them out without doing that.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Are they factory studs? If so, just loosen them until they do not turn any more and then put a big breaker bar on them and crank them to bust them off. Replace them once you get the wheel off.

Other than that, you may have to use a nut splitter tool to crack the lug nut open and get it off the stud.

I prefer busting them, it is quick and the stud is ruined anyways.
No, they are screw in 1/2" moser studs. I have broken the lugs off...the lug actually broke off the shank leaving me the shank only on the stud...that was fun getting off the wheel off on both sides just need to remove the old studs from the axle flange without ruining the threading on the axles themselves.

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
good luck. you could always cut the end off then shve the ends so they dont bite but it will take a few. i ended up screwing up the threads in mine when i tried to pull them out without doing that.
ouch...so had to get new axles? what about a thread chaser would that work? or is that designed just to "clean" them out...

Chad
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Any chance you could get a cut-off wheel mounted in a die grinder in there, cut off the stripped portion, then turn the remainder of the stud out the back side?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

i ran a stud chaser thru mine with some red loctite. hasnt been an issue yet but im fully prepared to buy a new axle one day when it does become an issue.

Quick Reply: removing stripped screw in wheel studs.