Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Reason to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reason to upgrade?

Ok, I've got a 98 t/a that has the stock 16 inch 5 star wheels painted. I think they look undersized....but from an absolutely performance only standpoint, is there any actual necessity for me to put on 17 inch (or 18) rims at all when used on the street? Any advantage that I could feel from going wider without needing an auto-x track to play on? I live in central MA, which is nice and curvy as long as you've found a road paved within the last 2 years.

Can I just get a very nice set of tires for these tires and focus my mod money elsewhere and still wind up with a nasty machine? Plans aren't that big....basically intake, exhaust, program and maybe some 4.10s....other than that I'd be good with this one I think.

The car feels surprisingly nimble to me, and most of the suspension is worn out anyhow. I know that needs to be addressed first.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat and have never upgraded from 16"s on all 5 or 6 of my 4th gen f-bodys. I put the money elsewhere, especially when you have to drive over pigpath roads every day. Most of the aftermarket 17"s weigh quite a bit more, keep in mind the stock 16's weigh 19-21 lbs.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

I purchased some AFS ZR1 clone rims. These are extremely heavy weighing in at around 50lb a piece (I think). I live in Montana and we have some of the worst roads in the country (Think chip/seal everywhere). Even with this I still have a blast ripping around corners. I have some suspension modifications but having that extra width on each corner helps if you're into spirited driving.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went from stock 16's to 17's and I remember saying the car felt like it should have had them from the factory, the lower sidewall gave the car improved handling and quicker response. I had 275's up front and they definitely track on worn roads though. You will also get a firmer ride (feel the road better and the bumps) which you may or may not like. I've accumulated 3 sets of tires/rims and currently have the 18/19" setup on which surprisingly are not drastically harsher than 17's but definitely heavier (not a performance upgrade).

BTW, I did intake, exhaust first then wheels when I burned up my tires (not long after!) It is a big expense, but they are also the biggest appearance mod and can set your car apart from others.
So "Reason to Upgrade", because It's an Upgrade!