Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My Nitto NT05 Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Nitto NT05 Review

I have had my NT05s for 2 months now and have to say I am impressed. I wanted a good street tire that will also do well on a road coarse, as I do HPDEs (High Performance Driving Schools). So far, they are doing everything I wanted.

First off, this is not a drag radial but, once warm, straight line traction is good. I would rate them between my old GSD3s and my BFG DRs. Just as advertised actually.

I ran them on the Texas Motorspeedway Roval (that I was not familiar with and had some other issues) last month for a 1 day event and they did very well. There was a tight chicane that I took way too fast once and these tires just stuck. I was only getting some squeal in the front on two 180 degree turns. Again, I was not really pushing them since I was still learning the track but they did much better than normal street tires. I have yet to run R Compounds so I can't compare to those but I would guess right in between them and street tires.

This weekend I did a full HPDE at MotorSport Ranch - Cresson. In the rain! WOW. Wet traction is very good. I was surprise how hard I could accelerate, brake, and corner on the wet track. Don't get me wrong, it was slick out there but the tires behaved great. I had an instructor in the car for some of the sessions (moved up in run groups) and he is now think of getting these for his Vette.

The only thing left is running on a dry track that I know and seeing how they do. I expect more of the same.

Obviously I can't say how long they are going to last yet but they are wearing nicely so far.

Again, these have done everything I have asked of them and am very happy with the performance. They are far better than any street tire I have ran before. They are a little noisier and harsher riding due to the stiff sidewalls but nothing unexpected. For what I do with the car, these are hard to beat.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

I have GSD3s right now but I need tires badly and I been considering these. How long do you think they will last ?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

I think if I get 10,000 miles out of them I will be happy. Hard to tell at this point.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nitto needs to update the dry performance icon on the website.

I'm looking at these tires also.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Well like I said I needed tires and I just came back from getting some GSD3s
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the NT05's on my car -275's front/ 315's in back and like you I track the car (Road America, WI) and run it in the rain both track & street and have full confidence in them. They've been on since April and WOW what a tire! I have NO problem recommending this tire to anyone that wants a performance tire that has excellent rain capability.

-John

Quick Reply: My Nitto NT05 Review