Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

AC Schnitzer type III on my WS6 and also RIM dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Schnitzer type III on my WS6 and also RIM dilemma

WARNING: Car has not been road legal or driven in 3 years, it is filthy, and the ground effects on the driver's side is not secured, there are gaps(no body tape, just screws), and the rear spats are removed because the tape didn't hold up, im redoing them with screws and plastic repair (blending them), and also the front Wings West piece is currently being modified to fit my LT1, and again its filthy.

So, about 5 years ago i came across these rims called AC Schnitzer Type III's. I immediately fell in love I loved them, they were simple, yet unique, and had a nice concave. I decided these were the rims for me, and started searching. Found out they were only for BMW, bummer! A year later when i really got into my WS6, i realized it was the same bolt pattern! So i started searching for a distributor, but they were few and far between. I finally found one, Bavarian auto works or something like that. I was so excited, i had some money saved up and couldnt wait to buy them! THEN, i actually found them.

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Do you see that? $775 PER RIM!!! And thats todays price, back then they were actually $990 +/- PER RIM!!!! FAAACK! Why would i ever pay that? My dream was lost.........

UNTIL, about 2 weeks ago on craigslist, i find a wrecked M3 being parted out. He states "OEM rims-scratched". I look, becuase i DO have a BMW and would love an S series engine swap. When i open the thread, his M3 has AC Schnitzer type III's! i get excited becuase you normally cant find them used, but damaged is even better. They all have good tires in the add, but they are scratched. Im thinking i may be able to get the whole set for $1500, if im lucky. And BTW, there are replicas out there but even those are about $2,000 and heavy as fack. SO i email this guy and hope to hear hes wanting something reasonable for them. I hear back from him, hes only wanted $600!!! For all four plus tires! I verify with him that they're authentic. Just my luck im in school in San Francisco and it will be a few days before i can get them! BTW they add literally popped up while i was searching, he posted it and 3 minutes later i responded. Im worried like crazy that before i can make it home that he will sell them!

Some miracle happens, and 3 days later i have my self a full set of AC Schnitzer type III's, with good tires, for facking $600! the whole set cost me 2/3 of the price of ONE RIM new! Its like finding Iforged Aeros or CCW Classics all 4 with tires for $600! The story goes like this, the guy is a professional VW builder, big name on VW Vortex. People literally pay him to do nothing but build old *** golfs and stuff, his own car is on a magazine cover this month. Well this guy bought the M3 for the engine, and had no idea what the rims were! He even asked me why i was so excited to buy them lol! So smart *** me, i get on bavauto.com on my phone and show him what just one costs new! The douche bag tried to get me to give them back LOL!!! ROFL!!!! He actually threatened to drive off with my last one! He calmed down, and everything was ok.

So, theyre in great shape, only thing is they need to be refinished. ven though we're talking nearly $4,000 for a set of rims, believe it or not they are only painted. So now i have to sand blast them, and sand out the curb rash, and im going to have them powder coated gunmetal. My only dilemma? Which car to put them on? I have never seen them on anything other than BMW's but the design seems like it would fit my WS6, its just, after all, a split 5 spoke. So after weeks of curiosity, i finally bolted 2 of them on today! Here are the pics, let me know what you think! I absolutely love them, but they are too narrow. If i decide to keep them on my WS6, i will add 2 inches in the back, making them 10.5 or i may even go 11.5.

Before this, i was waiting to buy OEwheels C5 DD. Im waiting for the 11 inch version this summer, ive been using my other set of extra BMW wheels, my BBS replicas. I like them too, but if i keep them ill also have to widen them.

DILEMMA:
So i have, a BMW 325is, and a WS6. I have 3 sets of rims, OEM BMW M3 DSII's (currently on BMW), BBS replicas (currently on WS6), and AC SChnitzer type III's. I dont know which rims im going to keep, which ones to get rid of, and which ones to sell LOL!!!! I also really want the C5 DD for my WS6. I think in the end i am going to go DSII on my BMW, and sell the BBS. Im going to keep the AC Schnitzers, but when the C5's come out, ill order them and then decide. BTW my car is lifted lol

Comments, questions? concerns? BTW the offset is correct, its like BMW and GM collaborated for this one, rims would sit exactly flush if my car was lowered. I also threw in a pic of the BBS riims that are currently on the WS6.

Last edited by evilZO6; 03-25-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Personally I like the BBS better but I can't say the same for that hatch
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Personally I like the BBS better but I can't say the same for that hatch
I lOVE my hatch, its awesome! Im doing a blacked out roof though, so i think it will look better to some people then. I like it now, and i LOVE being able to take out the back window and then take off the t tops. I also like my BBS, just need to widen whichever set i go with for my WS6! Its funny too becuase they look HELLA wide on my BMW, on my WS6 they look like toothpicks
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah that hatch looks taco hellish. .nice rims though
Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell yeah dude those Schnitzer's are the ****.

I've been searching for wheels, different than all the Corvette wheels we see on here, and those are some of my favorites, that I've seen.

They remind me of the c6Z06 a little, but the concave is awesome.

Great find, I wouldn't have told that VW guy ****.

Quick Reply: AC Schnitzer type III on my WS6 and also RIM dilemma