Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New Sumitomo tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Sumitomo tires

Wow. I got these in a wheel package that is going on my race car. The car is being converted to a street car right now and i did not want to put DRs on it until spring. I took the car for a drive today and liked how everything felt until I hit a little boost.... it felt like I kicked the trans in "N". I knew this would happen, although it still surprised me. 3rd gear highway speeds are the same. Below 45mph the tires will let go before boost even starts. Nice looking tires though and very inexpensive. size 315 35 17". They may work a little better in summer, but I can not imagine that much of an improvement.

P.S. I am not bashing the tires, just kind of sharing my "review".
Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

I'm actually very happy with my 275 40 17 sumitomo HTR Z II's. Hook way better than the stock Goodyear eagles that where on my 02 SS 10 spokes. But then again I'm not making nearly the power you are.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

for as cheap as their are as compared to any real tire they do pretty good i got them on my ta 275 40 17.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow those comments help guys, as I just got a set of speedlines and I wasn't sure what kind of tire to get. I think I can live with the results you guys posted...
Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

I have had sumitomos on my car for 3 years and no problems what so ever. Granted they don't hook and if you do a burnout they get really greasey feeling, but I have done lots of burnouts, donuts, and decently hard cornering and they still have a little less than half tread left. But probably only 8k total miles, if that.

My next set of tires will be the cheap *** sumitomos but am considering the Kuhmo XS tires, but I think I'll use street tires until I get all of the quirks worked out of my new suspension setup then make the switch to a softer compound.

But I personally am not disapointed with the tires, but then again their are better options