Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel Option Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel Option Frustrations

The reason I'm writing this post is two fold: One, to vent because I find the severe lack of quality aftermarket wheel selection for 4th gen F-bodies frustrating as hell. Two, to see if I can gain any suggestions that might direct me to a good, relatively inexpensive, non-boat anchor, aftermarket wheel option which will not require spacers to fit my car properly.

The car, itself, was an inexpensive driver/track car purchase ('98 SS Camaro), so I don't want to sink a ton of money into a set of wheels, but I also want something that's going to look good, be relatively light weight for track purposes, and bolt directly on to my car and fit. I know there are tons of reproduction wheels that people buy and run on these cars, but most may as well be made out of led, and their offsets are way too high for our cars. For example, a +58mm offset 10.5" wheel is not the correct offset for a 4th gen F-body. Ideally, this wheel width should land around the +38 to +45mm offset range. Yet, the only way, I've found, that I can get such a width/offset for this car is to buy a custom built modular wheel. That would obviously be the very best option but, as noted, I don't want to spend that kind of $ on a car that cost me less than $10k.

So, does anyone know of a good aftermarket wheel for our cars that fit this criteria? I'd really like to get my hands on a set of 18" wheels in a 9.5" front/10.5" rear, each with offsets between +38mm and +45mm, that don't weigh more than 25lbs each.

Any insight/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DannyG; 04-29-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about weight but I am pretty sure you can get 18" Torque thrusts with custom offsets & widths for a pretty reasonable price. I know they are pretty common & get a lot of hate but it is an option & look better than a lot of stock wheels.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McNord
I don't know about weight but I am pretty sure you can get 18" Torque thrusts with custom offsets & widths for a pretty reasonable price. I know they are pretty common & get a lot of hate but it is an option & look better than a lot of stock wheels.
True - The TTs do come in proper offsets, but only in 17", at least that I've seen.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look around, I've seen up to 20".

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDIQ8wIwAA#

Jegs has a bunch of different size & texture options too.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are frustrated for a fourth gen try finding wheels for a STS-V!!!