Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help me to understand Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me to understand Wheels

I've been going over the Everything you should know sticky on Wheels and still find myself a bit confused on the wheels numbers. I've never fully understood all about offset and I believe thats a big part as to why I still rock the stockers.

I think I'd like to end up with some 19in rims. Of the ones I've seen that I like, it looks as though they come in 8.5 and 9.5in widths. For 19's is it recommended to do 9.5in on all fours or stagger them (8.5s up front)?

From the everything you should know sticky I've gathered these numbers:
8.5" ..... +38 to +45 mm .... 235, 245, 255
9.5" ..... +38 to +56 mm .... 255, 265, 275, 285

If i do 19x9.5 on all fours will ANY wheel with an offset between 38-56mm fit right? Conversely, if you guys recommend 8.5in up front will any with 38-45mm offset fit right up front?

On some wheel sites, they list an "ET". Is that just another term for the Offset?

The car is an 02 TA. Currently stock rear and stock ride height. Figure I'll get wheels first then lower it accordingly depending on whatever wheels I end up with. The TA is my good weather toy. Past few years its seen less than 4k/yr. Roads here in Colorado aren't horrid so I'm not worried about a stiffer feeling ride, especially with as little as the car is driven.

*Edit* Furthermore: For tires it looks like the few posts I've found have people running 275x30x19 tires. The 30 is sidewall height correct? Will a 35 have any negative effect?

Last edited by dementia; 01-18-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

f-bodies (from what ive been told) need a higher offset wheel. for example OEM 17x9" wheels have about a 50-52mm+ offset. thats not to say you cant get any other offset, but i base what wheel size i get on what OEM specs are.

The more + offset the more the wheel is pushed in to (or tucked into) the car.

For example:

pretend this is your wheel. the "o" represents the very center of the wheel (where the sockets on the wheel are is where they measure what offset your wheel is) and the "I" is the edge of the wheel.

So pretend you are standing behind your car
(this would represent that the bolts that hold your wheel are at 0 (zero) offset.
I--------O--------I

This would represent you are going toward a more positive offset or making the wheel push toward the center of your car.

I----O------------I

This would represent your are going toward a negative offset, something typically used for an off road application. Because they want to run a bigger, taller, wider tire.

I-----------O-----I

See the difference?

Excuse the crappy "drawings" if thats what you wanna call them. But if you visualize standing behind your car and looking at the crappy drawings ive made here, you'll get a better understanding of how offset works.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Maybe a visual will help. My rear is narrower than stock now, so I had to move the mounting surface in, less back space, by .75" per side.

Pre-alteration my mounting surface was offset positive 39mm from the center line of the wheel (in red)

After the re-hoop the mounting surface was 19mm (.75" change in backspacing) closer to the center line. So I have a 6.5" back space and a 20mm positive offset.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the pics those are definitely helpful in understanding this. When you're shopping for wheels and you're looking at something out of the norm, how do you calculate whether or not the wheel will fit properly (not stick out too far or tuck in too much)? The wheels that have really caught my eye is offered in :

19x8.5 ET=38 (offset?)
19x9.5 ET=45 (offset?)

I'm guessing the ET figures are the offset values (appears to be the case according to one of the wheel calculators in the stickied thread). Would the 9.5 wheels fit on all 4 of the TA?

Currently I have the stock 16in rims (non ws6) which tuck in (arent flush with the body). I dont mind having a wheel that isnt exactly flush but would the wheels listed above be something that would fit and still be flush or not overly tucked in on a TA?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Without knowing anything else about the wheels, and assuming those are positive offsets will they fit? Probably. Will they look good? Part of the variation in backspacing, and offsetting mounting surfaces, is getting the dish right, and getting those wheels as close as possible to the outer fenders without interfering with the fenders, or suspension components. That's the technical blather behind "a good set of wheels". Two sets of wheels with different measurements can make one car look great, and another look bad.

Do you have a link to these wheels?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CE4&...jsp&techid=101