Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

weird problem, not sure what to do about it

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default weird problem, not sure what to do about it

well I bought a set of custom one off TSW's used for my trans am. problem is, the guy I bought them from decided to put them on his s-10 and in doing so had to grind the lip inside the hubs on the front wheels to clear the dust covers ont he wheel bearings. so now there is nothing for a center cap to attatch to. what can I do to resolve this? are there adapters I can press fit in there? or do I have to weld them up and re machine that inner lip? I have access to a machine shop and such, but would rather not have to refinish my wheels over this if I don't have to

in this picture you can kind of see what I mean:

Last edited by badhombre; 03-08-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Intro wheels makes a "one size fits all" hub cap for their wheels. IMHO, it's a little on the big side, OD wise, but it IS a high quality cap, and uses a unique means to retain it. The cap has a groove machined in it, which accepts an o-ring, with about 0.030" of the ring above the groove. The centerbore of the wheel has a matching groove. You "pop" the caps in place. The OD of these could possibly work for you, if you have access to a big lathe. You might want to look into these...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the info I'll check those out. I actually do have a machine shop so i was considering machining out some rings that I could press fit into the center and reduce it back down to the stock diameter
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I was just looking through my old posts, as I haven't checked in here in a while.... I'm getting my car ready to put back on the road, unless we get some more snow, of course, and I'm polishing up the wheels. I popped out the hub caps to get everything buffed up, decided to take a break, logged in here for a couple of minutes, and saw your reply.

I went out to the garage, dug out my verniers, and measure the OD of the Intro hub caps. They appear to be 3.250", if that's of any help...