Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best drag tire stock 16" rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best drag tire stock 16" rims

To save money I'm going to put drag tires on my stock 16" wheels.

I've run ET streets in the past but am thinking radial this time around. Anyone have any experience with these:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Toyo/Proxes+TQ/172070

Or would I be better off with this:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...&type=SS&bnr=y

There's also these but they are almost 2 inches taller http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...&type=SS&bnr=y

Or nitto? Hoosier?

Basically what looks and hooks best for a stock weight stock suspension radial tire?

I'm looking for 1.7's or better. Possible?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

What transmission are you using? I'm just curious why you would think a drag radial would hook better than an ET Street?

Originally Posted by Jason94z
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...&type=SS&bnr=y

I'm looking for 1.7's or better. Possible?
I ran those for parts of 3 years on my car. They're pretty street friendly, but they obviously won't last long using them that way. My best 60' was 1.700, but mostly in the 1.8-1.9s, which ironically, is why I'm looking at getting a set of ET Streets.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by supernaturalta
What transmission are you using? I'm just curious why you would think a drag radial would hook better than an ET Street?

I ran those for parts of 3 years on my car. They're pretty street friendly, but they obviously won't last long using them that way. My best 60' was 1.700, but mostly in the 1.8-1.9s, which ironically, is why I'm looking at getting a set of ET Streets.
Thank you.

I have a 6spd and 4.10s 12bolt

1) I'm lazy and would love to drive to the track and run without tire changing, and drive home.
2) I ran the ET streets on stock rims and no tubes. Im older now and worried about swaying/blowing out or other weird stuff. Are the radials safer?

If I have to swap rims at the track I might as well go for full drag rims. But then I need longer studs etc. I figured if a drag radial could get me 1.7s and I could drive there and back, all I need to spend money on is rubber. No studs, extra wheels, etc. since I already have the mint stock rims sitting in the basement.

Am I wrong? Are radials really only a 1.8 1.9 tire?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you.

I have a 6spd and 4.10s 12bolt

1) I'm lazy and would love to drive to the track and run without tire changing, and drive home.
2) I ran the ET streets on stock rims and no tubes. Im older now and worried about swaying/blowing out or other weird stuff. Are the radials safer?

If I have to swap rims at the track I might as well go for full drag rims. But then I need longer studs etc. I figured if a drag radial could get me 1.7s and I could drive there and back, all I need to spend money on is rubber. No studs, extra wheels, etc. since I already have the mint stock rims sitting in the basement.

Am I wrong? Are radials really only a 1.8 1.9 tire?
I'm right there with you, I HATE changing tires at the track! My first set of DRs were BFG - I bought them with like 50% tread left, used them on the street for 2 years (no rain) and 3 times at the track, the best 60' I had on those was 1.815. Then I bought the MT DRs new, they lasted 7-8 times going to/from the track on the street and over 50 passes. They're probably the best all around DR; some last longer but don't hook as well, others may hook a little better but don't last long and aren't street friendly (I think the Hoosiers fall under that category). With good driving and track prep, 1.7s on good hooking DRs (MT/Hoosier) are attainable, but I think 6 speed cars like ours would launch better on a bias ply tire.

What kind of 60's did you get with the ET Streets, and how were they going down the track (assuming you use street tires on the front)?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 AM
TECH Regular

Best I got on the ET Streets was 1.88 60. I've only been to the track a few times but would like to go a lot this year and finally get this thing into the 11s.

Down the track the back swayed side to side, nothing scary but definitely had to steer through 1-2 and 2-3 shifts; when they hit it would go side to side.

Edit: I added a sig that may help
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Best I got on the ET Streets was 1.88 60. I've only been to the track a few times but would like to go a lot this year and finally get this thing into the 11s.
It seems we have pretty similar setups with very similar goals. Honestly, I don't think you'll see an ET improvement changing over to a drag radial on a 6 speed. Really, if I were you, I'd stay with a bias ply and work on getting tire pressure right along with working on launch RPM/technique, but if stability and being able to drive to/from the track w/o swapping tires when you get there is a higher priority, the MT DRs are pretty good.
What helps me quite a bit is I have a line lock and a 2-step limiter; I don't know if you have those things, but it makes launching consistently A LOT easier.

Down the track the back swayed side to side, nothing scary but definitely had to steer through 1-2 and 2-3 shifts; when they hit it would go side to side.
Yeah, I've also been rackin' my brain trying to figure out what I'm going to do for tires since I burnt up my Mickey DRs. I REALLY want to run a bias ply rear, but all these things I read about mixing radial and bias ply tires F/R has kept me from pulling the trigger thus far. I've seen so many cars run that way at the track and never seen anyone have any problems, so this is what I'm going to do:
15 x 9 Weld RTS 6.5 backspace
275/50R15 M&H Racemaster Muscle Car drag tires (bias ply)
My goal is a 1.600 60' and a sub 12 second quarter.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so far I have decided 11.5 x 26 ET streets on the stock salad shooters for the rear, and 225 tires for the fronts.

It sounds to me like on stock suspension Drag Radials will not hook better than 1.8 1.9 so better to stick with ET Streets.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Ok so far I have decided 11.5 x 26 ET streets on the stock salad shooters for the rear, and 225 tires for the fronts.

It sounds to me like on stock suspension Drag Radials will not hook better than 1.8 1.9 so better to stick with ET Streets.
thinking about doing the same with 16" wheels, I just bought some last Saturday.. what tire are u buying ?

Quick Reply: Best drag tire stock 16" rims