Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

offset question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default offset question

ok so i have read the sticky on this but am consfused. as it states that a 18x10.5 will not fit with a 56mm offset in the rear with out the BFH mod. but i called OEWheels and asked them about one of their rims and they said they will fit no problem.

my second question is that i currently have 17x9.5 on all 4 corners, and i will be stepping up to a 18x8.5 up front and 18x10.5 in the rear. here is a breakdown of what i have:

17x9.5 (56mm offset) up front w/ 275/40/17.......going to 18x8.5 (46mm offset) w/ 245/40/18
17x9.5 (56mm offset) out back w/ 275/40/17.......going to 18x8.5 (56mm offset) w/ 295/35/18

my question is will this make my rear wheels stick out 1/2" more on either side being it is the same offset? so basicly if i bolted the old rim on one side and the new one on the other side, the new rim would be 1/2" closer to the wheel well, and would stick out 1/2" further from how far the old rim stuck out?

next question am i gonna have the same clearance up front for calipers on the front, and will the outside lip of the new rim sit in the same place as the old one? will the rear and front be level with each other or will the rear be sticking out 1/2" more?

i ask about the front cause i know that my current rims (these):

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...ro_4/C6-Z06_11

but i have them with a 56mm offset

and the ones i am going with are these:

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...Wheels-Black_3

i am also going with the smaller rim up front so i can run a 245 tire for better stability on the freeway.

also anyone with these rims or even someone with the same offset and size rims (dont have to look like these, just size and offset have to be the same) i would love some pictures for examples. on T/A's or Birds if possible.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
ok so i have read the sticky on this but am consfused. as it states that a 18x10.5 will not fit with a 56mm offset in the rear with out the BFH mod. but i called OEWheels and asked them about one of their rims and they said they will fit no problem.
If the sticky says you will need the BFH mod, then you will need the BFH mod. That sticky is pretty good on the do's and dont's

my second question is that i currently have 17x9.5 on all 4 corners, and i will be stepping up to a 18x8.5 up front and 18x10.5 in the rear. here is a breakdown of what i have:

17x9.5 (56mm offset) up front w/ 275/40/17.......going to 18x8.5 (46mm offset) w/ 245/40/18
17x9.5 (56mm offset) out back w/ 275/40/17.......going to 18x10.5 (56mm offset) w/ 295/35/18

my question is will this make my rear wheels stick out 1/2" more on either side being it is the same offset? so basicly if i bolted the old rim on one side and the new one on the other side, the new rim would be 1/2" closer to the wheel well, and would stick out 1/2" further from how far the old rim stuck out?
TTM's that are 10.5 in the rear are perfectly plush with the fender at +44mm. You want a rim that is +12mm more so although you will fill your wheel well nicely, you will be sticking out about a half inch (which IMO doesnt look good) from the fender. You could minimize this by getting and adjustable panhard bar to line up the rear with the wheels as much as possible.

next question am i gonna have the same clearance up front for calipers on the front
You will not have the same clearence on the STOCK calipers up front. Offset is measured from the center of the rim. The center on a 9.5in rim is 4.75in from each side and 4.25in from each side on an 8.5in rim. Taking the same offset from each of these rims will not give the same results because your starting point has changed. Will it affect your caliper function? Again, on stock calipers, no. I have not heard of anyone having caliper troubles with this rim from OEWheels.

will the outside lip of the new rim sit in the same place as the old one?
No. See above answer for clearence. This is applicable to mounting surfaces as well since your starting point has changed.

will the rear and front be level with each other or will the rear be sticking out 1/2" more?
This question is kinda weird. Will the wheels be level with each other? I sure hope so, that would be a weird ride if they werent. Will the rears stick out a half inch more? Most likely while the fronts are probably tucked in about the same or more since the offset is the same but the rim is and inch smaller. Again adjustable panhard bar for the rear is needed for exactly these reasons. It probably wont eliminate the problem completely but you can minimize it as much as possible.

also anyone with these rims or even someone with the same offset and size rims (dont have to look like these, just size and offset have to be the same) i would love some pictures for examples. on T/A's or Birds if possible.
Pleny of people on here with the same rims you are looking for. Just search here or and I am sure you will find the pics you need. Also, are you lowered? OEWheels will guarantee their wheels fit for stock height. If you are lowered, you WILL NEED and adj. phb and BHF mod to make them fit.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: offset question