Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question for Moderators - don't want to break the rules!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Moderators - don't want to break the rules!

I have a question that hopefully someone with a bit more experience with forums can answer.

I know the rules with regards to sponsored vendors. I don't want to break them, as those who pay to sponsor do so with the advantage of gaining more business. I am not a business, so there is no financial gain for me.

I know there are a number of members on this forum who have purchased aftermarket (or OEM) C5 wheels for their Gen 4 Camaros and Firebirds. I also know that the only center caps for these wheels are either blank plastic chrome, aluminum covered plastic OEM with Corvette logos, or chrome plated plastic with Corvette logos. The reason I know this, obviously, is because I'm one of them.

A buddy of mine is a machinist, with a little shop. He has agreed, as a friend, to build me a set of billet aluminum center caps. I designed them (I am an engineer), and we are tweaking the design so they snap on as OEM (or aftermarket) caps do. It is possible to either give them a machined or polished finish.

In addition, another engineer who works for me at my employer has a laser system who can laser into the center caps whatever design is provided.

Here comes the question. Because this is a small shop (and the person whom owns the laser system does this more as a hobby), sponsoring is simply not a financial option. They would never make this money back doing the niche work that is available with these. However, I also know that the availability has been asked over and over. So, I'm in a position that I believe that I can coordinate the needs of the forum members (finding custom center caps which no sponsored vendor supplies) with the needs of two friends (bringing business their way), and everyone is happy. But - I don't want to break the rules, and anger anyone.

How is this done?

I would appreciate any advise you can give.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Question for Moderators - don't want to break the rules!