Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

GTO rim and wheel well questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO rim and wheel well questions

Hey, guys! Just signed up, hoping to be active on the forum as time passes!

So I've been looking for some rims for an 06 GTO. Wanted to have the wheels a little bigger and wider in the back, was thinking either 17s in front and 18s in back or 18s in front and 20s in back.

My question(s) pertain to how they would sit in the wheel well. I've seen guys putting 20s on what looked like unmodified GTOs, but I don't know if anything was done to the wheel well or what kinda room as needed and what was done to make the room. I guess I'm asking if 20s would fit without throwing thousands of dollars just to make them fit. If I make make me fit with minimal effort and money, then I'm golden. Otherwise, I might just go with the 17-18s over she 18-20s until I work up he time and money to modify the body to make them fit.

The rims I was looking at, the 17s and 18s were 7.5 wide, and the 20s were 8.5 wide. I like that wider stance in back with only a slight height difference in back. I think it gives the car a mean look to it.

And if anyone has any suggestion for a fairly cheap set of rims, that would also be appreciated! Not really keen on spending over 300 a rim, though.

Any info or help in this would be much appreciated! I'm not the most knowledgable on cars, and I wanna do it the right way! Thanks and cheers everyone!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is purely an opinion. 20's are too big for a GTO's form factor. (I own a 2005) and I debated for a LONG time about putting 19's on it. Were it not for the availablility of G8 19's that are the exact offset (48) required for a GTO I wouldn't have done it.

That said I have seen it done, you just have to keep your front tires no wider than 235 and no higher profile than 35 (maybe even 30). The back, as long as you have proper offset you still won't be able to go over 255/265 depending on how yours sits on the cradle.

GTO's (on stock suspension or lowered) with unrolled fenders are notoriously difficult to fit wheels and tires on. Good luck with your endeavors on this. My personal recommendation would be 17's/18's or at most 18's/19's ....but trust me, the bigger wheel you go with the smaller tire you will end up with.

Quick Reply: GTO rim and wheel well questions