Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Gun Shy

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gun Shy

Happy Friday!

I need new tires and or wheels for my car. This will be my first time buying some for it, so I'm reluctant to pull the trigger. Any help, suggestions and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I've finally reached my wits end deciding what to do for wheels/tires on my Camaro. I've spent the last 2 years thinking and shopping around. I'm willing to spend up to $2,000, but would prefer to stay more in the $1,500 range or lower, if possible. Like most, I want a street/strip setup.

About my car and driving habits:
2000 Camaro SS, A4, TCS, some free mods, front sway bar removed. There are some good looking chrome c6 z06 rims on my car (18" front, 19" rear), but I hate the tires on them with a passion and can't wait to shred them to a million pieces. The front tires still have a couple of summers left on them. I live where the roads are flat and straight as can be. It's a partial DD, about 2k miles/year, 50% interstate, 50% in town, and only driven in the summer on non-rainy days. I want to start drag racing for fun a few times during the summer.

What would you do? Buy a new set of rims/tires and sell the z06 rims, or keep the z06 rims and replace the tires? Or would you do something else? I don't care about looks. I just wanna mash the gas and go as fast as I can without spinning my tires for an entire 1/4 mile. My flux capacitor won't engage otherwise. What setups have you liked or have worked best on your mostly stock Camaro?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep the rims if your happy with them and just buy some nitto drag radials for the rears. If that's all you have done to your car what you listed, drag radials will do just fine. It would be hard to get new wheels and tires for 2k u less you but some used rims or replica wheels.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, here's an option:
Buy a set of used 16" x 8" Camaro 5 spoke wheels(paint if wanted) and put a set of 225/55/16 tires up front, an some 255/50/16 Drag radial tires on the rear. This will give a plug-n-play set-up that should work good on the street or track and allow you to put most of your money towards good tires and keep while keeping the price down.

Quick Reply: Gun Shy