Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Big disappointment from OE wheels. Anyone else have this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big disappointment from OE wheels. Anyone else have this issue?

So I got home to day and noticed that my OE wheels had shown up. I ordered the polished ZR1 17x11 rear wheels at the start of the week and they had shown up in a few days. I already have new 315/35r17 Sumitomo tires waiting to be mounted. Me being an excited guy about the wheels like most customers would be, I opened just one box to see my purchase. My heart sank when I looked inside to find the first wheel I looked at already had a flaw. It was a huge *** dent in the middle of one of the spokes. This thing looked like a hammer had smacked right in the center of it. The chrome plating was fine so clearly this was a pre chroming flaw with the wheel. Then I turned the rim on its side to inspect further just to find a sticker with an "Quality Inspector pass". I actually had to laugh. Clearly this person who applied the sticker was glazed over when looking at my rim. I am not trying to knock OE but I must say this is a speedbump I really didn't expect and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? How did it turn out? Did OE replace the rim? Hopefully this story has a happy ending because at the moment it really has me upset at my decision.
Attached Thumbnails Big disappointment from OE wheels. Anyone else have this issue?-20140501_223233.jpeg   Big disappointment from OE wheels. Anyone else have this issue?-20140501_223227.jpeg   Big disappointment from OE wheels. Anyone else have this issue?-20140502_000537.jpeg  
Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

I got the same exact wheels on my car from oe wheels.... they came flawless. I bet your wheels got damaged during shipping
Old 05-02-2014, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive heard a lot of complaints lately. Especially from 3rd gen guys

A friend of mine ordered wheels a while back and after a few weeks of giving him the run around, they said they wont have any availible for a few more weeks. He still hasnt recived them

Guy in my car club ordered some, came in with scratches on the lip. Not bad enough to try to return
Old 05-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think so because for something to go that deep into the box to damage the spoke I would think the box would have a huge whole or dent but nothing. And when it comes it has 2 sheets of cardboard, a net, and plastic before it even comes close to the spoke. Plus the chrome didn't have a mark or anything. Just the dent
Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It takes long time to build up a trusted and good reputation for a company but very fast to ruin this in today's internet world.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered some wheels from them and have no complaints. The showed up quick and were flawless. I know on the side of the boxes it says the wheels can be returned as long as they have not had tires mounted on them. Good luck bud, I hope you get taken care of. waiting for updates.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If they are a good company it should be a real easy turn around. Back when Toms wheels was a sponsor here I had all 4 of my TT2s come damaged. Sent tom some pics...they sent me a return shipping label and ups picked them up from my house. They were all improperly packaged and got pretty messed up in transit. Delivery guys like to throw **** all day long.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Is it polished or chrome?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

have you contacted OE directly? i'm sure they will make it right, sucks to have that happen though
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. I'd call them up right away and disclose the issues you have with them. I'm sure they will step up and take care of things. I wish people would refrain from threads like these UNLESS you are not satisfied with the results after contacting the company and trying to work things out. Just my opinion.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I agree. I'd call them up right away and disclose the issues you have with them. I'm sure they will step up and take care of things. I wish people would refrain from threads like these UNLESS you are not satisfied with the results after contacting the company and trying to work things out. Just my opinion.
x2 on this
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got wheels from oe not too long ago and they came flawless and fit like a glove. Got 17x11 zr1s as well but mine are black. Then with my satisfaction I called up and ordered a center cap for a wheel that I lost a while ago and some black lug nuts. They came in a few days and found that they sent me the wrong center cap and called the salesman that I was dealing with and he fixed the situation right then and there. So still a happy customer so far and if you call I am pretty sure they will make things right
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyz400
I ordered the polished ZR1 17x11 rear wheels
The chrome plating was fine so clearly this was a pre chroming flaw with the wheel.
Plus the chrome didn't have a mark or anything. Just the dent
This is confusing. You mention ordering "polished" wheels, but then talk about chrome. If they are polished, which they appear to be in the pictures, then there is no plating process involved in such a finish.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Exactly. It's always better to first contact the vendor and discuss the issue with them prior to posting internet complaints.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

even if they were chrome, it can be bent without flaking, they were almost surely damaged during shipping
Old 05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting a complaint in a public forum about a company's service before even attempting to contact the company about what was clearly an unintentional and unforeseen circumstance...
Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, that sucks. But I'm sure they would love to hear from you. Let them know ASAP and I'm willing to bet they will make it right.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am hoping in the time u posted this u also called them. I agree with your logic, as I have oe wheels, and seeing the boxing/packaging, I would be amazed if that dent was made after boxed, and not obvious damage to the box/packaging. I think they simply made a booboo and sent u a bum wheel, but they are on this forum a lot, so if they don't make it right post results, we would like to see the results. mine came with the boxes a little banged up, but wheels were good.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah agree with the others, things happen sometimes, it sucks, but usually much better to contact the company first. Take it to the internet to get them flamed out after the fact if they don't make it right lol.

I got my OE Wheels recently and they are 99.9% flawless. I did find a tiny spot (like pinhead sized) where the clear has an imperfection, but you can't even see it unless you're really looking for it so it wasn't a big deal to me.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

EXACT same issue I had with a set of C6 rims I got from them last month. Contact them and they'll take care of you. I dealt with Tom (x303). It looked like the wheels were dented before they were chromed and they just chromed right over the dent. I also had a different rim damaged in shipping. OE Wheels paid for shipping on both wheels both ways and took care of me until I had a set of rims I was completely satisfied with...They were actually out of stock at one point of my C6 rims, but found me a new display model and sent it out...turned out it wasn't quite perfect either, the centercap was a little different since it had been made a year earlier, but then they got another shipment of new rims in and sent me another one. So if you're counting, yes, it took them sending me 7 rims total for me to get a set of 4 I was happy with. I did have to put a couple of them on my credit card until my returned rims were processed, but they refunded me promptly. I was actually very pleased with their customer service. They did everything I asked until I was satisfied...I just had to have patience.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

I am dealing with Tom at the moment, and yes I had contacted them before I posted this. I just was curious if anyone had experience with their customer support and could see if my problem was happening more frequently than I thought. Didn't need any internet tough guys but hey I did ask for comments so shame on me I guess. Also I am not out to ruin a company reputations, especially since so many of you have their wheels. That's why I asked for help, because this group would know more than anyone else I know. That's all. Should be hearing from Tom tomorrow about the details of what he is planning to do with my rim.

Quick Reply: Big disappointment from OE wheels. Anyone else have this issue?