Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wait for wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wait for wheels?

Hey all!

I currently have a 98 z28 a4, i believe it has 2.73s in the rear.

Current mods are: Shift kit, slp lid, borla adjustable, and free ram air(soon to be slp scooped)

I need a bit of help, my problem is i cant seem to get any grip in 1st and most of second. Is it worth getting some toyo proxes tqs for the rear on my stock wheels, or should i just wait until i grab some 17x11/17x9.5 vette wheels?

It will be a few months until i get wheels, but if its not worth getting drag radials on stock wheels ill just grab a set of used tires for like 60$ until i get the wheels.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little confused. I basically started with the same car (A4/2.73) and I never had major issues hooking on street tires until I replaced the stock torque converter. A shift kit and a Borla aren't really gonna make THAT much of a difference.

Question is what you're running on the rear now, and what pressure you're running them at when racing. Are they that far gone that you need to replace them now? If so, there's no issue with running a drag radial on a stock wheel, and it probably won't give you noticably different traction that a 17" version would, based on your mods. It's more that if you're planning on replacing them in a couple of months, it's kind of a waste of money.

Oh, and don't waste your money on upgrading the ram air setup. It will make so little of a difference that you might as well just light the money on fire. If you want to make your car faster, save your money for gears and a torque converter.

It might be more of a case that you need to learn how to launch it than needing drag radials.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 06-05-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

The tires on it are bald, like belts showing bald. If I try to brake launch it, it just gets loose. If I go from a stop it gets loose.

When I bought it the kid tried to tell me it has an " after market converter" but if it does the stall is way low.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also this is the second set of decent tires I've went through. I mean decent as in they had quite a bit of meat left when I got them.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

a little update, yesterday i got some used tires to hold me over. No more traction issues. i think the 2 sets i went through were just really old it seems.

Originally Posted by DrEvyl

Oh, and don't waste your money on upgrading the ram air setup. It will make so little of a difference that you might as well just light the money on fire. If you want to make your car faster, save your money for gears and a torque converter.

It might be more of a case that you need to learn how to launch it than needing drag radials.
I wasted the money about a year ago on the ram air ducting, it was meant to go in the 3.8 car i had before this.

Nice bird btw, i love that color. My 3.8 camaro was that color.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running tires bald is risky - and causes traction issues. Tires grip best when new. Some people think they grip better when bald because of more surface area to the road, but the rubber is old and just won't grip as well (and the tire could blow).
Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

They had about 1/2 tread left. Both sets I went through did. They were only bald when I quit using them haha

Quick Reply: Wait for wheels?